-20-

P E Y T O N
—————-

The next night, Adrian didn't want Ethan, Edi, or me out of his sight. Adam was back to whatever a non psychopathic Adam would be, so he was responsible for looking after Ethan and Edi. Adrian and I stayed in our room together, but he stayed near the window a sniper rifle right next to him. I still wasn't too comfortable with the whole 'I kill people for a living' thing, but him killing people to keep family safe is different.

I go up to Adrian and sit next to him on the window seat. I make sure my body isn't right in front of the window, because I don't feel like getting shot in the head. Adrian glances at me and then back out the window.

"We're going back tomorrow." He says. He sounds exhausted.

"Back to the city? Why?" I ask confused. Going back to the city isn't going to change anything. If anything, it's going to make us easier targets.

"All my equipment is there and I can't put my mother at risk. If we leave here he'll leave her alone." He finally looks away completely from the window and stares at me.

"you don't know that," I start , "Your father knows where she is now. You need to protect her."

"Peyton, you need to go back to your family. I can't just drag you around everywhere."

I think this is the first time I've heard him actually say my name.

"So if I go back where do you go?" I ask hoping this isn't going to be what I think it is.

"Here and there. Everywhere. I'll keep Al away from my mom and you'll be safe with your family." He says. I scoff and and get up from the seat. He sighs and gets up also.

"Will any of the places you go be with me? Or your just going to disappear from my life?" I'm starting to get frustrated.

"Of course not, but I need you to be safe. And being with me isn't safe." He comes closer to me and puts a hand on my cheek.

"Peyton, I don't want to be away from you, but I also don't want you to be killed."

His thumb strokes my cheek lightly and he looks at me sadly. He sits back on the window seat and pulls me with him. I sit on his lap and he holds me tight, as if I'm going to leave any second.

"When are we leaving?" I ask feeling the warmth of his chest on my back.

"If there's movement tonight, we'll leave tomorrow afternoon." He moves his arms around my waist and puts his head in the crook of my neck, kissing it softly.

"I'm not going to have to tell my future grand kids about the crazy 2 weeks I had with a man who isn't their grandfather, right? Tell me you'll come back."

"I'll come back." He whispers against my skin. I want to make him promise but I don't want to be disappointed.

"Wait, future grandkids? I think you skipped about 5 chapters." Adrian leans back making me look at him. He has a confused but amused face.

"It was a hypothetical. I wasn't serious." I mumble. I feel his chest vibrate as he laughs. It's gives me a feeling of comfort.

Suddenly, I feel his body freeze and he's looking out the window like a guard dog. He smirks slightly and then moves me off him.