-23-

P E Y T O N
——————

Everything good must come to an end. But I guess Adrians life sucked a lot cause this fool won't die.

He flatlined twice during surgery, but then immediately he was back and stable. Right now he's lying in a hospital bed sleeping peacefully. I sit across the room watching him sleep and waiting for him to flatline again when Someone knocks on the door and comes in. Cleos walks in with a small smile and Xavier trotting behind her.

"Hey Peyton. How's he doin?" Cleo ask grabbing another chair and pushing it next to me.

"Well he's not dead." I say shrugging. Xavier laughs and Cleo glares at him.

"That's not funny. It's someone's life your laughing about." Cleo scolds Xavier and he just rolls his eyes.

"Sorry, I guess. How'd the surgery go?" Xavier asks. Him and Cleo left to go home before Adrian came out of surgery, so they have no idea about the chip.

"He flatlined a couple times but they got all the bullets and. . .other things out of him. He'll be fine, but mentally I don't know how he'll be." I say the last part quietly.

"Well he has you. He'll be fine." Cleo smiles and rubs my back.

"We have to stop at mom and dads but we'll come back later." Xavier says helping Cleo up. I nod my head silently and they leave the hospital room. My parents know that Adrian is in the hospital but I told them not to come.

I bring my chair to the side of Adrians bed. I just want to look at him. I take his hand and rub the small scars on his big hands. Putting his hand on my cheek, I start to cry a little.

"You're an idiot." I whisper, closing my eyes.

"We'll that's great to hear as soon as I wake up." My eyes snap open and Look at Adrian. He's looking at me with a sad and pained look.

I lean over the bed and hug him gently. He weakly wraps an arm around me, hugging me back.

" I thought you were going to die. I don't get how you got shot." I mumble into his chest.

"I brought a knife to a gun fight." He says chuckling. I pull away and look at him confused.

"Why would you do that?"

"I couldn't kill anyone. I just injured them badly." He says trying to sit up in the bed.

"You should've just brought your gun. You could've died." I say looking at him like he's crazy.

He smiles and pats my head softly.

"I promised you I wouldn't kill anyone. If I had my gun I would've done it." He brings his hand to me cheek.

"Next time, don't listen to me." I say putting my hand on his. He gives a me a raspy chuckle. But then he squeezes his eyes shut and puts both his hands on his head.

"Adrians what's wrong?" I stand up from my chair and hold his arms. He doesn't answer and continues to hold his head in pain.

"I'll go get the doctor." I say starting to move away from the bed but he grabs my arm quickly and shakes his head. He looks at me and tries to smile through the pain.