Chapter 1- Pavements

Kiara pov:

The clock ticks loudly as I glare at the board. Maths was always boring. No matter what we did, it was just a waste of time.

The continuous noise of turning pages , ring through my ears as I begin scribbling answers down.

As I look over my shoulder, a familiar set of eyes lock onto mine.

Celeste.

A faint smile curls in on her lips before she mouths a question. 'What are we doing?'
I shrug.
A small giggle escapes my chest as she flips off her book frustratedly.

Celeste and I met when we were thirteen. Fours years ago. In fact in this very class. Another laugh rumbles through me at the thought.

Closing my eyes I breath in quietly. Only to be disturbed by the loud ringing of the bell.

Finally.

Celeste saunters towards me, rolling her eyes as the teacher calls out the homework.
" They really don't give us a break do they?" I huff.
" Pricks" she mumbles with a giggle following.
" I can't be asked to do bloody trigonometry" I answer as we begin to leave the classroom.

" Neither. Its piss taking. That man. Oh I swear I will shove him down a fuc-" I nudge her to show that there's a teacher right behind us.

We laugh loudly.
" Good thing you have you friend to stop you Celeste Everly" he grumbles.
A look of annoyance settles over her face at his words.
" Sorry fucker" I whisper.
We both smirk yet a second later a laugh bursts from Celeste.
Not giving him another word we only make our way out the building.

We're in the middle of crossing a road until a sudden drop of water hits my neck.

"Fuck" I hiss as a tremble courses through me.

Celeste follows me crossing the rest of the road to stop under the bus stop.

She pulls out a bulky book from her bag and slumps down comfortably.

"Are you seriously going to read right now?" I glare at her.

"We have been friends for four fucking years. you should know this by now"
She shakes her head in laughter whilst flicking to a page.

There was a cool humid breeze the road was seemingly completely empty.
Obviously everyone else's parents could give them a lift on time.

I place myself next to Celeste, my eyes drooping as I listen to the rain.

A few minutes go by until Celeste begins questioning me.

"Ok so if three guys came up to you and one of them had blonde hair green eyes and was a surfer, one of them had black hair blue eyes and reads for fun, and one was a brunette dilf artist you would obviously choose the one who has the most mon-"

I snap back awake from my partial sleep to to the sound of tires skidding on the road.

What?

"Your dad is never here this early?" Celeste raises an eyebrow beginning to start walking towards the sound.
" Wait"
My voice echoes into the stale air.

I follow her to the end of the road and turn expecting to see the average blue SUV my dad drove.

Instead a shiny, black Range Rover driving at us at about 100mph comes into view

Shit.
" FUCKING RUNNN" I shriek at an oblivious Celeste.
The car was heading straight towards her at an incredible speed.

Why aren't they stopping?

"CELESTE YOU FUCKING IDIOT! RUN"
I shove her to the side of the road as the car speeds past us.

We fall to the ground and I accidentally topple over.
Her head smacks onto the concrete.
" Fuck" I mutter.
Her body lies limp for a few seconds. A few seconds that feel like a lifetime.
Until finally her head slowly lifts up.

Blood drops down her cheek.

"Shit are you ok?"
Reaching out, she grabs my hand to stumble up.

"I think I'm good. Well apart from maybe a concussion"
Celeste brushes the gravel residue off her legs to reveal her knees, an array of blue purple and red.
Blood seeps down, bruises spotted all over her legs.

"Fuck! I think I have some tissue in my bag,"
I crouch down to shuffle through my bag.
" What the fuck did they think they were doing" she yells as I search.

I stood back up handing the tissue to Celeste when I suddenly noticed she wasn't there.

"CELESTE? IM TOO TIRED FOR THIS SHIT! I HAVE A TISSUE" I shout.
My voice only sounds out through the deserted street.
No Celeste for my shout to reach.

Where was she?

I turn around only to be suddenly grabbed by a pair of hands.

The Range Rover was pulled over behind me, a figure pulling me harshly.

I kick and squirm but I can't escape from their grip.

"GET THE-" My mouth was muffled with veiny knuckles hiding in torn gloves.

I scream but to no use.

I still kick desperately trying to free myself.
Until I finally knew my target.

A man.

To my advantage I kick my foot as far into him as I could. A grunt sounds behind me.

"I had to get the annoying one didn't I?" The man pulls me into him with a deep voice.

"Here" a second figure emerges from the car chucking the first man a vial of blue liquid.

As the man catches the vial his hold eases. I launch my fist aiming at his face until I find his fist colliding with mine.

I wince but he stands there pain free.

How?

Going in for another hit the thick blue vial pierces through my knuckles. I blink harshly until my eyes shut and turn my vision into pure darkness.