22. Back at Hogwarts

It feels fantastic to be back at Hogwarts. The choir sings, me and Hermione watch and Harry and Ron goof off. I glance at the teachers' table and me and Snape make eye contact. He flashes a small, quick smile. I send one back before focusing on the choir again. When they're done, Dumbledore stands up to speak.

"Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say, before we become befuddled by our excellent feast. I myself am particularly looking forward to the flaming kiwi cups, which, while somewhat treacherous for those of us with facial hair..." McGonagall clears her throat to get him back on track, "Mm. Yes. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts. Good luck to you, Professor."

"Of course, that's how he knew to get the two of you chocolate." Hermione whispers.

"Yeah at least it's someone competent this year." I mutter. Ron nods in agreement.

"As some of you may know, Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher for many years, has decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be filled by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid!" We freeze for a moment as Hagrid clumsily stands, before everyone (save for a majority of the Slytherins) erupts in applause. When that quiets down, Dumbledore clears his throat and his voice turns grave, "Finally, on a more disquieting note, Hogwarts -- at the request of the Ministry of Magic -- will, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban." There's a short silence. Draco mocks fainting at Harry and I flip him off in response. He sees this and glares. "The Dementors will be stationed at the entrances to the grounds. While they are under strict orders not to enter the castle itself, you will, on occasion, see them as you go about your daily activities. Under no circumstances are you to approach them. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving." He looks directly at us, more specifically, me and Harry. Of course he knows.

Us Gryffindors approach the painting and find a guy outside of it, while the fat lady sings, apparently trying to reach a note high enough to break a wine glass. "I'm trying, but she won't let me in." a boy says.

"Fortuna Major." Harry says.

"Oh no, no, no! Wait, wait." The lady angrily objects, then she starts to sing again as I quickly cover Hermione's ears. Unfortunately, I'm unprotected as the note falls into a wail that she exasperates for five seconds before she just breaks it on the wall and stops. Hermione gives me a thankful smile and I graze her arm with my hand. The fat lady gasps, "Amazing, just with my voice!" Amazingly, nobody's impressed.

"Fortuna Major!" Harry says again.

"Oh fine." The fat lady grumbles, "Come in." Me and Hermione step aside in the common room.

"I'm happy that I got to spend so much time with you." I say, pulling out a locket, "This was Mom's, it was a gift from her friend and it was in her friend's family for generations. I think she would've wanted me to give it to you."

"I can't."

"You can, Golden." I whisper, "Trust me, it's safest in your hands." She takes it slowly and carefully, like it could fall apart in her hands and she opens it. Inside is a picture of me, Mom and Dad all together.

She closes it and puts it on with her necklace and... another piece of jewelry I've never seen before, hidden in her shirt with the necklace. She hugs me. "Thank you." She smells like cinnamon. Why am I addicted to that scent?

"No, don't thank me. You deserve so much more than what I've given you." I whisper, before stepping back, "Anyway, off to bed. Goodnight Golden."

"Goodnight, Sammy." We head off to unpack before bed.