46. Bubblegum Takes Over

A few weeks into the new year, and we've got exciting news for Harry and ourselves, we find him with Cho, "Harry!" Hermione calls, he slows down.

"Hey Glasses!" I pipe up. This stops them as Harry turns to us. "You should tell him." I say.

"Tell me what?" Harry questions, amused.

"Hagrid's back!" Hermione cheers and the most fantastically stupid smile spreads over Harry's face. As he excuses himself and starts to follow us and Ron.

"Hey, Harry," I start as we run down the hill to the old familiar hut, "Sorry for cockblocking you." This gets him to laugh until we stop, hearing a voice that I wholeheartedly despise. Bubblegum.

"I will say this one last time. I'm ordering you to tell me where you've been."

"I've tol' yeh, I've been away f'r me health."

"Your health?"

"Yeah bit o' fresh air, y' know?" Hagrid tries.

"Oh yes. As gamekeeper, fresh air must be difficult to come by." She states sarcastically. Hagrid stays quiet. "If I were you, I shouldn't get too used to being back, in fact, I mightn't even bother unpacking at all." With that she leaves and I debate whether throwing a rock at her would be worth the consequence. It totally would, but still.

When the pompous bitch is out of sight, us four step up to Hagrid's door and knock, when he sees us, the widest smile spreads across his face as he welcomes us in. I notice the bruise on his face immediately and one look at Harry tells me he does too. Hagrid sits us down and grabs a piece of raw meat to soothe the pain. "How've yeh all been?"

"Horrid." I state, "At least academically. That brown-nosing, idiotic bitch doesn't understand a thing about what she's teaching and she's spreading these preposterous lies about Harry. She gave me this." I show the scar that writing lines got me. "This woman is unfit for her job!"

"I understand yer point, but she's got th' Ministry behind her, unless she kills someone, there's no chance she leaves."

"Well, what've you been up to?" Hermione asks.

"Top secret." Hagrid utters.

"No offence, Hagrid, but don't you remember the last time you kept something top secret?" Harry asks.

Hagrid falls silent remembering first year and how quickly we discovered his secret and gulps. "Fine, I'll tell yeh. Bu' you can't tell anyone else." He decides, "Dumbledore sen' me to parley wit' th' giants."

"Giants?!" Hermione gapes as Hagrid shushes her. "You found them?" She takes my hand.

"Well they're no' tha' hard to find, to be perfectly honest, they're so big, see? I tried to convince them to join th' cause, but I wasn' the only one who was tryin' to win them over."

"Death Eaters." Ron whispers.

"Yes." Hagrid nods, "Tryin' ta persuade 'em ter join You-Know-Who."

"Did they?" Harry asks.

"I gave 'em Dumbledore's message, suppose some of 'em remember how frien'ly he was ta them."

"And they fucked up your face."

"Language, Sammy. And, no' exactly, no." The dog starts barking at Hagrid to have the meat and an exhausted Hagrid tosses it to the ground, "Oh go on, you 'ave it then, yeh dozy dog." An unsettling breeze rolls through that has me hold Hermione out of instinct. Hagrid lumbers into the doorway of his bedroom. "It's changin' ou' there. Jus' like las' time. There's a storm comin' 'Arry. We'd all bes' be ready when she does."