6. Still Breathing

I sit in Snape's class with no one but the teacher to keep me company, I've been in here for an hour. Why, you may ask? Pretty simple, really. I got into a fight with Malfoy. Me and Hermione were walking along the hall when we saw blondey picking on Neville. Hermione tried to pull me back, but I saw red, then he started talking about her and I snapped,calling him everything but a child of God, so to speak. Unfortunately, Snape came out of his class just time to see this, and now I'm writing a sentence a thousand times. Oh well. I look at Snape who has a very slight hint of remorse on his face.

"Why do you hate everyone so much?" I ask.

"I don't hate anyone."

"Could've fooled me." I grumble. "You know, I used to be a shy little runt, but after I went to Awfelts, I became outspoken. Because in that environment, it was either fight or die. I have sacrificed more of myself to magic-"

"You don't know a thing about sacrifice!" Snape shouts, snapping that quiet demeanor in half and looking at me. The atmosphere is suffocating.

"Do you know who the fuck I am, Snape?" This catches him off guard. "I am Samuel motherfucking Hedrich. I have given up my body, my heart and soul for this. I have broken more bones than I actually have to manufacture some semblance of peace, I left my mom to die in New York for this. Who the FUCK do you think you are to tell me that I don't know sacrifice?!"

Snape looks away and sighs. "You'd make a great Slytherin."

"Funny how that works." Then I see Hermione rush past the door, tears in her eyes. "Sir, I need to go."

"Are you done writing?"

"Sir-"

"No excuses, Mr. Hedrich."

"I'm sorry, sir. I really am. But if I'm not there for her, no one will be." I say, walking towards the door, which closes.

"You know, Mr. Hedrich. If you were any other Gryffindor, I'd have tied you to that chair." He sighs. "Go, you're dismissed." The door opens back up and I nod at him before running after Hermione. I follow her until she's in the girl's bathroom, then I stop.

"Shit." I grumble, walking towards the bathroom. Then I hear sniffles. "Hermione?" I ask in the doorway, "Are you okay?"

"Go away, Samuel." She says. The tone of her voice is heartbreaking.

"You know I'm not gonna do that. Friends stick together." Her sniffles grow louder. "Hermione, I want to talk to you. Can you hear me?" Nothing. "Well I'll wait out here then."

"Shouldn't you be in class?" She asks.

"Doesn't matter. I'm not moving a step from here." I do as I say, waiting for a couple hours sitting a little away from the doorway, putting on a movie to watch in passing as I do, then I hear thunks heading in my direction. I turn to see a giant troll heading in her direction. "Hermione, you need to get out of there!" I draw my wand. "Stupefy!" The spell has no affect on him. "Shit." The troll swipes its club and connects hard with my chest, I feel a number of my ribs break on contact, as I collide with a wall and Hermione runs outside of the bathroom and stops in her tracks, seeing the troll and then me. The beast raises its club. "No!" I yell, jumping up and ignoring the searing pain as I grab its arm. An elbow to my face knocks out a tooth and I crumple to the ground. The pain is overwhelming. I clutch onto its foot and it drags me across the ground. Hermione hides in a stall and the troll sweeps its club across them. He hurt her. Blind rage boils inside of me as I pull myself up and get hit again. My body goes limp.

"Hermione move!" I hear Harry yell as Ron pulls me away from the troll.

"You look like shit."

"Fuck you too." I wheeze. The boys start throwing chunks of wood at it.