67. Harry's Old Home

We land on a rocky, plain plateau and Hermione sits down silently, looking miserable. There's no going back now, Ron is gone. For good. I sigh as Harry pulls me aside. "How should we do this?" Harry questions.

"I'll do the enchantments." I decide.

"Perfect. I'll set up the tent."

I draw my wand and prepare the enchantments before Harry's eye catches mine. "What?" I question.

"Nothing. Just..." He looks at Hermione, who's still sitting miserably, "How long do you think she'll be like this?" he whispers.

"She's known Ron about as long as you." I say, "And she's far more sensitive than you. Are you over the fact that we essentially left one of our oldest friends for dead?"

"No." Harry admits.

"Do you know when you'll be?"

"No." Harry repeats.

"Then be patient. Time heals all." With that, I pat him once on the shoulder and head to a good spot to start enchantments.

Harry, Hermione and I sit silently, Hermione's head rested on my shoulder. We've been here for a while. A week at least. Hermione is still struggling to get back to herself. Harry pokes at his venison thoughtlessly. I was able to hunt a deer, but with no refrigeration, it's going to be bad by tomorrow. I'm keeping myself occupied currently by carving a hunk of wood with Dad's switchblade. Hermione kept in her bag.

"What are you making?" Harry asks at last.

"Birdhouse." I reply, not lifting my eyes.

"Why?" Harry questions.

"I've always wanted to make one." I reply, "Now I have the time to."

"Do you have blueprints?"

"Don't need them."

"Right." Harry nods, "Photographic memory."

With that, the table is silent once more. I carve my birdhouse for a while and as I start to get bored and I start to reenact a song I wish I could listen to right now. "Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality. Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see-"

Harry joins in quietly, "I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy. Because I'm easy come, easy go, little high, little low. Any way the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me." Harry's voice raises a bit, "Mama, just killed a man. Put a gun against his head, pulled my trigger now he's dead. Mama, life had just begun. But now I've gone and thrown it all away."

Hermione now quietly joins in, "Mama! Ooh! Didn't mean to make you cry, if I'm not back again this time tomorrow, carry on, carry on. As if nothing really matters." Her voice picks up a bit. Queen always works. "Too late, my time has come. Sends shivers down my spine, body's aching all the time. Goodbye, everybody, I've got to go! Gotta leave you all behind and face the truth."

From there, we all break out in full song, singing the entirety of Bohemian Rhapsody together and having fun for the first time in a long time. It's so good to see a smile on Hermione's face again, even if its stay is only brief, as right after the song, the mood returns to its tense sourness.

Me and Hermione sit bundled under a blanket near the fire as she reads the book Dumbledore gave her and I read the book Dumbledore gave me, her head resting on my shoulder. Just the simple, tender moments with Hermione like this are perfect moments that emphasise our love.