9. The House cup

I stand in the mirror looking at myself. "Come on, Samuel, you're fiddling like a girl." Ron says as I continue to "quickly" fix my hair and give him a questioning look, I'm chewing on a piece of gum harshly. God I'm nervous, but I don't know why. "I doubt Hermione's gonna mind your hair being messy. I think she likes it messy, actually."

"She does? Wait, wait, who told you I'm doing this for Hermione? They're liars! She's... she's like a little sister to me."

"Well he is from America." Harry remarks, smirking.

"Yeah, but New York, not Alabama." I reply.

Ron smiles, slyly, "Does a brother give his sister pecks on the cheek?"

"Well..."

"Does a brother follow his sister everywhere she goes?" Harry asks, pulling on his shoes.

"Hey, I-"

"Does a brother always get products that smell like mint because he knows it's her favorite scent?" Neville asks.

"...I thought her favorite scent was Strawberries. Mint's my favorite scent."

Neville shrugs, "Well she told me that yesterday, while you were talking to that microphone."

"Whatever it is, Samuel, we know." Ron says.

"There's nothing to know!"

Ron laughs, "Sure, all New Yorkers spend twenty minutes fiddling with their hair."

"Bah." I grunt, pulling on my robe, "I'll see you guys at dinner." And I'm out. Classes are out today and I find Hermione by herself in the courtyard I sneak up behind her and shout. He yelps and jumps then sees me and play-beats me up with a book. When she's done, I sit next to her and she curiously observes my hair.

"You look different. Trying to impress someone?" She says. I shake my head and she smirks before messing up my hair. "That's better." Twenty minutes of work for nothing.

"Watcha reading?"

"Oh just my third runthrough of The Great Gatsby."

"Third?" I ask, "I couldn't finish it once."

"The symbolism is great."

"I wouldn't know." I shrug, "I never finished it. I don't even remember what I did read." She marks her page with a sticky note and takes out one of a different color before sticking it to the cover page. "What are you doing?"

"I'm gonna read it to you." she shrugs. I freeze. "Sammy? Sammy? Hello?"

"Huh?"

"Are you okay? After I said I'd read to you, you weirded out on me."

"Sorry, it's just... well, the last person that ever read to me was... Mom." I take a shaky breath.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know." Hermione says, sadly. "If you don't want to, I could always-"

"No. No, I want you to." I say, scooting closer to her. She opens to the first page and clears her throat.

"In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since..."

Soon, we're three chapters in, my head is resting on her shoulder, she smells like cinnamon. I listen to her soothing voice read a paragraph or so and then explain the symbolism behind it and the hypocrisy of Nick; the narrator. If I could capture this moment, and stay here for the rest of my life, I'd be happy. Then Ron ruins it.

"What are you two lovebirds up to?!"

"I learned a spell that'll have you gagging up slugs for a day, honestly, I've been contemplating who to try it out on." I reply sheepishly, before looking at him, Ron gulps. "We're friends, that's it, end of story, directed by fucking Alfred Hitchcock." I then sit up and scoot away from Hermione a bit. "Besides, she was just reading me a book." She nods and marks our page. "What are you up to?"

"Just hanging around. It's kinda weird to be going home tomorrow."

"Don't remind me." I sigh, looking at the sky. "I don't know the slightest thing about London."

"I'll show you around." Hermione offers, "Maybe we can sleep over at each other's houses now and then, I can read this to you."

"I'd like that." I say, smiling. "Hey Ron, if you're in town, drop a letter, You can come with us sometime."

"Thanks, but I'll pass on being a third wheel." Ron says. I nod. "Anyways, just saw ya and thought I'd chat. See ya!" He leaves.

"Let's go somewhere more quiet." I suggest. Hermione nods.

Another chapter at the library and we had to leave to get to the Great Hall in time. Me and Hermione take our usual seats across from Ron and Harry and we all chat for a while, until McGonagall dings her glass with her golden spoon, stealing the attention of the room.

"Another year gone. And now, as I understand it, the house cup needs awarding, and the points stand thus. In fourth place, Gryffindor with 312 points." Clapping ensues but our own table is ashamed. "Third place, Hufflepuff, with 352 points. In second place, Ravenclaw, with 426 points. And in first place, with 472 points, Slytherin House." The Slytherins celebrate and I make eye contact with Snape, who's hardly joyous at all. "Yes, yes, well done Slytherin, well done Slytherin. However, recent events must be taken into account. And I have a few last-minute points to award. To Miss Hermione Granger, for the use of cool intellect when others were in great peril, 50 points." Cheering.

"You're damn right!" I cheer, hugging her tightly.

"Second, to Mr. Ronald Weasley, for the best played game of chess that Hogwarts has seen these many years... 25 points." Cheers from the crowd. I slap him on the shoulder. "Third, to Mr. Samuel Hedrich, for having the courage to sacrifice himself for the sake of others... 25 points." Congratulations ensue, followed by a return hug from Hermione. "And fourth, to Mr. Harry Potter, for pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor house 60 points." Holy shit we're-

"We're tied with Slytherin!" Hermione calls, as if reading my thoughts. I make eye contact with Draco and point to him and then the ground as he glares.

"And finally, it takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends. I award 10 points to Neville Longbottom." The loudest pop of the night ensues, I stay seated for it just basking in the glory, then I make eye contact with Snape once more, he has a visual smirk on his face as he nods at me. "Assuming that my calculations are correct, I believe that a change of decoration is in order." He waves his hand and the Slytherin banners change to Gryffindor ones. "Gryffindor wins the House Cup!" Everyone throws their wizard caps in the air and I pull on my Yankees cap instead, side hugging Hermione. Fuck yeah, we won! Nothing could make this better. Then she pecks me on the cheek and the cheering hits an earbleed-worthy climax. I haven't heard people cheer this loud since the Yankees won in 1996. Difference is, now I'm a part of the winning squad.