30. Check Out

We walk onto the platform with our carts to find Dad waiting for us, his eyes lit up in elation. "So I heard from a little birdie that we have a new couple in London."

"Lupin." I mutter.

"I'm just wondering why you didn't tell me. I knew you'd get together from the beginning, I was just waiting for the news, and when I found out I was right, it's from someone I haven't talked to in over twenty years? It's like you don't even trust me." This temperament is expertly crafted to be mocking of himself.

"You're cheery." Hermione notes.

"Of course I am, my little boy's growing up!" He ruffles up my hair, then he sees Harry. "And Harry, I heard what happened. You're always welcome to stay with me." He assures, "Also, Here's one of the new WheyPoynts." He hands Harry what looks like a crappy reimagination of a capsule from Dragon Ball and smiles. "Less accidents happen this way. We recalled the last line after one wizard thought it was an actual lighter, kept saying 'light' and got teleported into the Sun." He sighs. "But the good news is; the memory restoration was a success and the treatment technique is being taught globally to the wizards and witches in practicing magical medicine." Dad shifts his attention to the ginger beside Harry, "Speaking of which; Ron, your leg feeling better?"

"Yeah, actually. It feels much better."

"Good. Tell your father that I'll see him for tea on Friday."

"Sure thing Mr. Hedrich."

"Oh and Harry," Dad says, "Don't worry about a thing, I'll keep everything here safe. For you and Lupin." He smiles warmly before grabbing a WheyPoynt. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I must be going, I'll take these two home. My offer is always open, Harry." He leads us to the wall we always use and grabs his WheyPoynt. "Home." He clicks it and tosses it, it works the same as it did before as a door appears that we go through and end up back home. "Sash, order a pie please!"

"Right away Mr. Hedrich." She says, walking from the kitchen, holding the phone. "Also, Remus Lupin called to tell you he made it safely."

"Brilliant news!" Dad cheers before looking at us. "I hired Sash here as my secretary, so now I pay her for doing everything. Also, I finally read The Fallen Empire. Brilliant. Your royalties are in the closet, and yeah. I'll leave you two lovebirds be, I have a couple errands to run. Here's the cash." He hands me the money, "When I get back, I'd better not find any mystery stains on the couch." Our faces become a deep shade of red as Dad chuckles to himself, walking out of the front door.

"He's a character, isn't he?" I ask after a few moments as I hug Hermione over her shoulders, then I look down at her preparing to tease her. "How tall would you say I am? Five ten?"

"What of it?" she asks, knowing what's coming. I lean down and kiss the top of her head and she gives me a flustered scowl, the cutest face I think she's ever made. Aaand then she kicks me in the shin.

I hop on one leg for a second, "Yeah. Yeah, I deserved that one."

"Yes you did." She nods, feistily, "Now go change."

"Yes ma'am." I sigh, smiling as I walk upstairs, remembering to let Owlbert, Shakespeare and Crookshanks out before I actually head up, to those two of you wondering, I changed into a black Yankees jersey and sweats. I come back downstairs to find Hermione in her pajama pants and an extremely loose tee with a - you'll never guess it - Yankees logo. Hey, I'm a fan okay? "Hey, that's my shirt." I chuckle.

"It smells like peppermint." She says, smiling.

I smile at her, "You can have it for a bit." Why does she have to be so fucking cute? "Let's put on some TV."

"What are we watching?"

"Look, I know you don't like gratuitous violence, but... Wrestlemania 20?"

She sighs, amused. She knows that I love wrestling with a passion. "Fine." She decides, "What, did your dad record it?"

"Yeah. Always. He's recorded all of them since the first one. Invented the first digital recorder because his collection took up so much space." I grab the remote and find Wrestlemania 20. We watch it until the pie arrives. She even seems to be enjoying herself, or maybe she's enjoying me getting so into it. Whatever it is, I'm glad. It's great to have someone like what I like. The pie comes and we take it to the couch, open it over our laps and split it, both of us folding over our slices and chowing down. Boy has she come a long way. I remember when I first met her, and how she has changed so much since we were twelve. She catches me staring and raises an eyebrow.

"You're beautiful." I whisper into her ear. Her face lights up and we share a pizza-flavored kiss, as the playboy match starts which I skip over entirely, assuming that Hermione will kill me if I show any remote interest. Honestly though, I really don't care about the female wrestlers not named Lita or Trish Stratus. They're all terrible, which sucks because the men are so entertaining but the women are only allowed to wrestle for five minutes. Oh well. Maybe in thirteen years, Ric Flair's daughter will be kicking ass, who knows?

When Wrestlemania's over, Hermione's asleep on my shoulder. Dad came in and watched the last few matches with me, Hermione passed out during Goldberg vs Lesnar. Reasonable. Anyway, Dad leaves us be and heads upstairs to turn in for the night. I carefully shift so that me and Hermione are both laying down, somehow without waking her up. Crookshanks and Shakespeare take Dad's seat. I watch a few episodes of South Park before deciding to join her, turning off the TV and kissing the top of her head before closing my eyes, letting sleep take me away.