31. A Deadly Game

Me and Hermione spent the summer more or less in a sort of honeymoon phase. Her parents were nearly as excited about us as Dad, saying that they were happy she chose me. Harry started staying with me and Dad midway through summer after a fight with his cousin that became a fight with his aunt and uncle. Dad, of course, took him in without further consultation. He wrote Harry's family a letter saying he's safe, not that they'd care. Police never came looking for him, thankfully enough and since then, Dad's sort of taken him in as another son. Harry has been nothing but great, the one annoying thing is that me and Hermione can't spend as much time together alone, and that time was already diminished after our third book got published and started exploding in popularity, we got on the news and had interviews and now a noir film is started being made about The Criminals, that last fact, we found particularly exciting, but still, me and Hermione spend a lot less time with just ourselves. I'd still rather have a safe Harry, though.

My training with the Great Wizard is going extremely well, though. Right now, I'm learning the ins and outs of the Great Wizard's responsibilities, extensive focus on fair punishment in Hell. Well -- the wizards' Hell is different from the muggles' Hell, it's more brutal in wizard's Hell, especially for Dark Wizards. The only Muggle Hells that really compare are the ones made for Stalin and Hitler. There are also different leaders for the different races, for instance, the Great Wizard is in charge of magic users and the muggles have the Warrior Hero -- or heroes after a big confusion involving several worthy people, none of which the muggles wanted to get rid of, they created a sort of congress run at head by Abraham Lincoln, the longest reigning Warrior Hero until the confusion. The magical creatures have one too, her name is Pangea, the original giant. She isn't actually the island, that's just her name, but she might as well be.

In mid-July, we left for the Weasleys' on a week-long visit. Their house is actually bigger than I thought it'd be. Me and Hermione are split into separate rooms, she bunks with Ginny (lucky), I, on the other hand, bunk with Ron and Harry, Harry's tolerable, but Ron? Not quite so much. I mean, me and Hermione still have a great relationship, Harry and I have a great relationship - more brotherlike than mine with Hermione and Ron and I... are friends? I think? The reason we're here is that we are waiting for the surprise that Dad insists he has in store as we have been for the last two weeks.

It's the middle of the night when I feel hands prodding me gently awake. I yawn, rubbing my eyes. Before looking into the darkness and spotting the figure that woke me up with a smile. "Golden...? You're aware that it's -- like -- three in the morning, right?"

"I know, it's just --" she sighs, "I had a bad dream. I... I wanted to sleep with you." She sounds so innocent, it's adorable. She's wearing another one of my shirts as sleepwear again. She does that a lot, especially since we've been here and unable to cuddle like we do at Dad's.

I chuckle, lifting up the blanket on the twin sized bed. At Awfelts, I'd grown accustomed to sleeping on one side of the bed, in case someone attacked me in the middle of the night, all it took was a quick roll off of the bed to dodge. It happened more often than you'd think. Thank Amos, the wizards here are dignified. She shuffles under the covers with me and gets on her left side, facing away from me. I pull her closer by her stomach, playing big spoon as I inhale her scent. It's kinda weird, but at least we're dating, so it's not as weird as it was just a year ago. Plus, I've always loved the way she smells. "What was it about?" I ask, "The nightmare."

"It wasn't a nightmare, just a bad dream."

"Mhmm?"

"In it, I never met you. I was always pretty much alone to fight for myself, I basically babysitted those two."

"Well if this dream happens again, I'm always here." I kiss the back of her head. "I'll hold you as -" I yawn, "- long as you need me to. Night, Cinnabon."