56. Christmas With the Weasleys

After Harry describes what he heard between Snape and Draco, Ron asks, "Unbreakable Vow? You're sure that's what Snape said?"

"Positive." Harry says, "Why?"

"It's just – well – you can't break an unbreakable vow."

"Oh wow, Ronald Weasley the great philosopher." I say, sarcastically.

"Honestly Ronald, I'm sure Harry could figure that much out for himself." Hermione adds.

"No, he doesn't understand." Ron dismisses, then he looks out the boothe's window, "Oh bloody hell." We turn to see Lavender who exhales on the window to fog it up and then traces the words "Ron + Lav" within a heart shape. She breathes on the window once more, lips that she misses him and pouts before leaving. I feel my face contort from calm into a disgusted scowl, down to annoyance.

"If that ain't some serial killer type shit, I don't know what is." I shake my head, "I'm glad you're not as crazy as she is, Cinnabon."

"All she wants to do is kiss me, my lips are getting chapped. Look." He tries to show Harry who backs off.

"I'll take your word for it." Harry says.

"Ever heard of chapstick?" I throw in. Ava passes in front of our boothe and for a split second, a smile etches itself into Ron's face, she reads the note, takes a deep breath and walks towards another boothe.

"So what happens? If you break an Unbreakable Vow?" Harry questions.

Ron's busy lamenting in his own self-pity for the "injustice" cast upon him by him, so I answer instead. "You die, Glasses."

Dad picks us up, informs us that Ava is spending Christmas with her Grandma, and takes us to the Weasleys' for Christmas. At dinner, the house is practically bursting with guests. As the twins hand out steamed nog and Ginny and Mrs. Weasley pass out dishes, the lady of the house cheers, "Eat up, eat up, everyone! There's more to come!"

"This year has been terrible." I groan, sipping my drink, "I didn't think that dealing with other people's relationship quarrels would ever leave me this exhausted."

"I'm glad you're helping out Ava." Hermione shrugs, "You've made this entire year easier for her, you know? It's a shame that Ronald and Lavender are snogging every ten seconds."

"Think they're schtuffing too." I add, "Why else would they be looking for a private room after having eaten each other's faces in front of the entire dorm?"

"Ronald will never cease to be Ronald."

"Ronald will never cease to be neurologically twelve." I correct, "And I had just gotten done telling Snape I think he's getting better when he starts this absolute stupidity."

"Speaking of Snape, what do you think about this whole thing with him and the Unbreakable Vow?"

"I trust Dumbledore's opinion. I love Harry, but I can't, in good faith, say I believe him - well I believe he heard it, or that he believes he did, but not that he heard it right or is drawing the right conclusion. I think that even if he heard what Snape said perfectly, Snape only did it to maintain cover as a spy. Dumbledore is never wrong, right? I'm also a pretty good judge of character, I'd like to imagine, and I just can't see Snape as a bad guy. What do you think?"

"I don't know." Hermione admits, "We've been wrong about Snape before, but spy or not, he's a Death Eater. Then, Colson trusts him too. I can't say for sure."

"And that's completely fine." I say, touching her cheek, "Let's just try our best to enjoy Christmas, yeah? Though, knowing about the Great Wizard, I'm not sure wizards are really supposed to celebrate Christmas?"