76. The Final Battle

Harry and I walk from Dumbledore's office, down a flight of stairs, through a hallway to the main flight, where Ava and Ron are holding hands and Hermione is fiddling with her thumbs. Harry and I look at each other. We start down the stairs and Hermione turns and stands, seeing me and running into my arms. It feels good to hold her.

"Where have you two been?" She demands.

"We thought you went to the forest." Ron adds.

"I'm going there now." Harry replies.

"Are you mad?" Ava questions, "No!"

Ron speaks up, "You can't give yourself up to him! Sammy, say something." Harry stops. I remain silent, staring at the ground. Hermione notices our unusual posture.

"What is it, Harry?" She asks, "What is it you know?"

Harry turns and takes a ragged breath, "There's a reason I can hear them. The horcruxes." He swallows dryly, "I think I've known for a while. And I think you have too."

Tears start to well in Hermione's eyes, "I'll go with you."

"No, kill the snake. Kill the snake and then it's just him." Harry replies. Hermione rushes forward and hugs Harry. I feel myself start to choke up again and turn. Trying to prevent myself from crying a third time. Then Harry comes to me, "You've always had my back, even when no one else did. I love you, brother." He pulls me into one last hug and the pressure in my forehead becomes too unbearable.

"I love you too."

"Good, you've got him, Sammy. You're the next Great Wizard." With that, he leaves and Hermione falls into my arms. I close my eyes, tears falling down my face.

Ron heaves a deep breath before wrapping his arms around both of us. "We'll be okay," he says, "we'll be okay."

I take a breath and pull away a bit, now regaining control of myself. "Ron, Ava, tell everyone who can still fight to get ready for the battle of their lives. The next battle will decide the war." Ron and Ava nod before heading off. Hermione is still sobbing into my shoulder. "I love you, Hermione. We'll get through this. I promise."

The next morning comes around, after a night spent comforting the loved ones of the dead, comforting Dad after explaining Harry's fate, making sure that Hermione is okay and preparing a plan to take on Voldemort, Neville spots the Death Eaters first, walking down the bridge with Hagrid held as prisoner carrying a body. Harry's. Hermione and I cast Killigan's luck charm before we head out.

Our front line when Voldemort arrives consists of Me, Hermione, Ron, Ava, Neville, Ginny, Dad and Arthur. I glare straight into Voldemort's eyes. Him and his movement have taken so many people I love. Sirius, Lupin, Fred, Moody, Dobby, Snape and now Harry. Voldemort shoots me a glare showing that he knows I'm all that's left in his way. The Boy Who Lived's closest ally.

"Who is that? Hagrid's carrying?" Ginny questions. I lower my head. I only told Dad so that morale wouldn't dip. "Neville, who is it?"

"Harry Potter is dead!" Voldemort howls.

"No! No!" Ginny cries. She tries to run forward to her fallen lover and Arthur stops her.

"So what now, Old V?" I demand, "Come to cause more suffering? Spill more blood?"

"Silence!" Voldemort shouts. I open my mouth to speak, now taking a step forward. Hermione grabs my hand. Not yet. I refrain, still maintaining my glare. "Harry Potter is dead. From this day forth, you'll put your faith in me." There is an unease among us. I'm the only one who knows that it's my duty to kill him. "Harry Potter is dead!" Voldemort cheers to the Death Eaters behind him who laugh with sadistic glee, "And now is the time to declare yourselves. Come forward and join us... or die."