12. First Day

(A/N: Merry Christmas)

We stand side by side in the greenhouse, waiting to start herbology. Finally, in comes the teacher. "Morning, everyone!" Nobody responds, "Good morning, everyone!"

"Good morning, Professor Sprout!" We all say.

"Welcome to Greenhouse Three, Second Years. Now, gather around, everyone. Today, we are going to repot Mandrakes. Who here can tell me the properties of the Mandrake root? Yes, Miss Granger?"

I make a move to raise my hand, but Hermione beats me to the punch. "Mandrake, or Mandragora, is used to return those who have been Petrified to their original state. It's also quite dangerous. The Mandrake's cry is fatal to anyone who hears it." She smirks at me and I smile warmly at her.

"Excellent! Ten points to Gryffindor! Now, as our Mandrakes are still only seedlings their cries won't kill you yet. But they could knock you out for several hours, which is why I have given each of you a pair of earmuffs for auditory protection. So, could you please put them on, right away?" We all move to do as she says. "Quickly! Flaps tight down, and watch me closely. You grasp your Mandrake firmly, you pull it sharply up out of the pot..." The Mandrake screams loud enough to be ear piercing despite the muffs as she displays it, "Got it? And... now you dunk it down into the other pot and pour a little sprinkling of soil to keep him warm." She demonstrates. Neville falls over. "Looks like Longbottom's been neglecting his earmuffs."

"No, ma'am, he's just fainted." Seamus says.

"Yes, well, just leave him there. Right! On we go! Plenty of pots to go around. Grasp your Mandrake, and pull it up!" We all do it just as she did to a chorus of awful cries.

We sit in the Great Hall where Ron is taping over his wand. Apparently he broke it when he crashed into the whomping willow. Nice going, Ron. Hermione just shakes her head and smiles a bit.

"Say it." Ron mutters, "I'm doomed."

"You're doomed." Me and Harry shrug in unison.

"Hi Harry!" A small voice exclaims, followed by a bright camera flash, "I'm Colin, I'm in Gryffindor too. Oh Sam, hi!" Another disorienting flash.

"Nice to meet you." Harry says as I recover.

"What he said. And please, Samuel."

"Okay! They're for my dad -- the pictures. He's a milkman, you know, a Muggle, like all our family's been until me. No one knew all the odd stuff I could do was magic till we got my letter from Hogwarts. Everyone just thought I was mental." A milkman is still a job?

"Imagine that." Ron mutters. I kick his leg under the table and he jumps.

"Say, guys. D'you think your friend could take a photo of me and you two standing together? Ya' know, to prove I've met you both?" Me and Harry look at Ron who's shaking with rage. Thankfully, the post comes at that moment and we don't have to. Unfortunately, Colin sits opposite me to Hermione.

Then I hear someone say, "Ron, isn't that your owl?" Suddenly, a wiley owl dive bombs into the table and slides towards Ron, it drops a red letter, "Look everyone, Ron's got a howler!" The group packs around as Ron stares at it.

"Go on, Ron, I ignored one from my Gran once..." Neville starts, before looking off as if having a flashback, "It was horrible."

Ron slowly opens it before, "RONALD WEASLEY! HOW DARE YOU STEAL THAT CAR! I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED! YOUR FATHER'S NOW FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK AND IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT! IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE WE'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT HOME!" She softens suddenly, now speaking to her daughter. "Oh, and Ginny dear. Congratulations on making Gryffindor. Your father and I are so proud." The note turns back to Ron, sticks out its ribbon like a tongue and blows raspberries at him before it tears itself to shreds, leaving Ron absolutely traumatized.