35. Dunces and Dragons

Today is the day of the first challenge. Hermione's birthday was a nice little Gryffindor party, bigger than last year but smaller than second. She's wearing that green coat and pink shirt that I just love to see on her. She's even done her hair in a way that I'd deem (in a completely unbiased manner, of course) gorgeous. Not that it matters much. The look of worry on her face makes me nervous. I'm not saying she's unattractive when she's nervous, just that -- well -- I don't like seeing her so nervous. We're standing outside of the challengers' tent. "Psst! Harry! Is that you?"

"You know that you don't need to whisper, right?"

"Shh!"

"Yeah it's me." Harry says.

"How are you feeling? Okay?" She asks with a shaky voice. "The key is to concentrate. After that you just have to-"

"Fight a dragon." Hermione rushes in and hugs him as a camera flash goes off, led by the only person I hate more than the Malfoys. Skeeter.

"Young love! Oh how... stirring. If everything goes unfortunately today you might make the front page."

"Ms. Skeeter, you insufferable twat, Hermione is my girlfriend." Hermione takes my hand and hides behind me, embarrassed. I can also sense rage, I feel it too. "Don't make me have to show you what the Great Wizard's been teaching me in the field of necromancy."

"You're bluffing."

"Oh, I wouldn't be so sure, Ms. Skeeter. I understand that in the eyes of your common wizard, a necromancer is as bad as a Dark Wizard. I am, however, the next Great Wizard, so it's my place to learn and understand every field of magic. Now I could bring that dead goose on top of your head that you call a hardue back to life, or you could leave with your head intact, capiche?"

Skeeter gives me a look as if to hide a deeper emotion, most likely fear, before shrugging, "Very well. We've got what we wanted. Come on." She pulls her cameraman away. As they leave, Dumbledore enters, backed by the headmasters, Filch and Crouch.

"Good day champions. Gather round please." Dumbledore says and the champions follow his directions. "Now you've waited, you've wondered and at last, the moment has arrived. The moment only the four of you can fully appreciate." He suddenly sees me and Hermione, "What are you two doing here?"

Charm time. "Just checking on Glasses. Are you fired up? Are you ready?!"

"Uh..." Harry is stunned by this sudden attitude shift. "Yeah?"

"Good to hear!" I cheer, "Great to see you again, Dumblebumble. Try not to tie your hat in a knot." I click my tongue twice before putting a hand on his shoulder, grinning mischievously. "Come on, Golden, let's make like Snoop Dogg and blow this joint!" I take her hand and we leave.

"That was... weird."

"Hey, don't always expect my usual brand of insanity. I like to switch it up a little, keep you on your toes." I say, laughing a bit. "Come on, let's find our seats."

After everyone else passes their dragon, Harry takes the stage. The dragon's hiding as Harry approaches the egg, and brings its tail down twice, with Harry falling after the first and narrowly dodging the second. Hermione takes my hand. The dragon breathes fire at Harry and the Boy Who Lived barely dodges. Harry tries to run from the dragon, but it's too fast, bringing down its tail twice more as Harry rolls over to dodge. Each strike breaks the solid stone between them. Harry can't hold on any longer as he tries to slide down the rock only to get striked hard by the tail and launched at least thirty feet away. Hermione's grip tightens on my hand as does mine on hers.