2. Meeting the Gang

"I'm gonna miss you, son." Dad smiles, "You're gonna kick ass, I know it. Remember to write me."

"How could I forget?"

"Well the smartest person on the planet is gonna be preoccupied. Maybe by a girlfriend?" He tilts his head indiscreetly at Hermione, earning a groan and a glare from me. I mean, sure she's kinda cute, but I wouldn't date her or anything. "I don't know, I see chemistry." He hugs me one more time, this time pulling back with tears in his eyes. "See you in the Summer, yeah? And don't hesitate to call me."

"I won't, Dad." I assure, grabbing my cart and sighing as I work up my nerve. "Tell Mom I love her too."

"I will." With this, I walk through the wall and stand in front of the train. I grab Shakespeare and my uniform before I push my cart to the luggage section and carry my clothes and Shakespeare on board. After walking for a bit, I find a boothe with Hermione and a distraught boy.  I sit next to my new friend, putting my stuff on the empty seat in front of me. This is better than the subway. Hermione gives me a quick smile of acknowledgement before turning her attention back to the boy.

"He was right here, where'd he go?" The boy almost squeaks.

"What'd you lose?" I ask.

"My toad."

I sigh, "Hermione, would you like to have a look with me?" She nods. "Keep an eye on Shakespeare, make sure she stays in the cage." The boy who lost his frog nods and we get up as the train lurches forward, knocking us back into our seats, my head hits the wall with a thud and I imagine myself as a Looney Tunes character for a second, stars swirling around my head. I give Hermione a quick glance and she doesn't look like she took the fall well either. After a minute I get up once more and rub the back of my head, before shaking it out and leaving the boothe "Gravitori!" I growl, casting a spell that sticks my feet to the floor before casting it on Hermione as well and holstering my wand. "That should be easier."

"I haven't seen a wand like that." The girl comments.

I feel my cheeks heat up, "I found it, it was in a shop, some kid broke it and when I saw it, it cried out to me. I fixed it and it chose me. It's a 13 inch ashwood with a unicorn hair core." I smile a bit. "Not a particularly powerful wand, but it's not about the wand. It's about the person holding it." After finalizing, I poke my head into a boothe. "Have any of you seen a toad?" They all give me odd looks. "I'll take that as a no." Then I walk away from the doorway.

"You don't seem too worried." She notes.

"Dad put a luck charm on me today."

"Has it worked?"

"Dunno, what does your dad do?" I ask, changing the subject. 

"My mum and dad are both dentists. They own a business together."

"That's nice. I assume they're muggles?"

"Yes. And?"

"I'm a tad curious, how did you learn of your... gifts?"

"One day I locked my dad in a room and the firefighters had to get him out, then I started lighting candles. Mum thought the house was haunted, so we moved and it continued to happen." She checks into another boothe, comes back out and shrugs, as she continues to talk, I scan the room with my eyes. "They figured out I was a witch when Hogwarts sent the invitation."

"Even though that's the proper word, I hate it." I mutter. She looks at me. Shit. I really need to shut my mouth. Just roll with it.

"Witch?"

"Yeah."

"Why?"

" I mean, aren't witches supposed to be ugly? In America if you're not green and have a wart, you're not a witch. But then again the witch of the east was good... it's the connotation I guess."