47. Ordinary Wizarding Level Examinations

As we sit in the Exam Hall doing the O.W.L.s in silence, I feel the raging tingle of boredom as I circle right answer after tedious right answer. That pompous bitch Bubble Gum stands smugly at the head of the class, watching eighty percent of her students bomb. Without Hermione, I likely would be in Azkaban for killing her by now. By the time I'm basically finished with the exam, swooshing sounds can be heard outside, and then explosions. Umbridge starts towards the door. When she opens it, a spark flies into her face, swerves around her and explodes in the room.

She walks into the hall as the room becomes stiflingly quiet. Then, with a burst of loudness in their cheers, the twins show up, flying around around the Exam Hall, launching everyone's papers into the air and setting off fireworks everywhere. A giant smile spreads over my face as a look of shock takes Hermione's. Some chase the Slytherins, others just explode as Umbridge storms back into the room, followed by Filch and Fred throws up a big firework. They take advantage of Dad's animated firework technology as a giant dragon chases Bubblegum out of the room, explodes and destroys every single plaque on the wall. Fred and George lead the charge out of the hall, Hermione takes my hand to lead me out and in front of everyone, we view the grand finale of a huge "W" in the sky.

Hermione pulls me down into a kiss as the cheers radiate into the sky, giving us another picture perfect moment to smile back on. We pull apart and I look back at Harry who looks like he's having an episode. When he collapses, I run towards him, Hermione on my heels, "Harry!" I yell, snapping him out of it as he gives me a bewildered look, "Harry, what's wrong?"

"Sirius." Harry says. By now, Ron and, weirdly, Ava have joined us.

"Are you alright, mate?" Ron asks.

"What's happened?" Ava questions.

My eyes widen, "Voldemort." Harry nods and stands, before running into the school. The rest of us follow as he frantically races through the castle.

"Harry, are you sure?" Hermione asks.

"I saw it! It's just like with Mr. Weasley! It's the same door I've been dreaming about for months. I mean, I couldn't remember where I'd seen it before. Sirius said Voldemort was after something. Something he didn't have last time, and it's in the Department of Mysteries."

"Harry, please listen to me!" Hermione shouts. Harry stops. "What if Voldemort meant for you to see this? What if he's only hurting Sirius because he's trying to get to you?"

"Well what if he is? I'm supposed to just let him die? Hermione, he's just about the only family I've got left."

Me and Hermione share a look and I step forward, "What should we do?"

"I take it no one has their WheyPoynts?" Harry asks.

"I broke mine." Ron mutters.

"Fuck," I curse, checking my pockets, "I left mine in my other robes."

"Figured. Have to use the Floo Network, then." Harry grumbles, he starts running again.

"But Umbridge has the chimneys under surveillance!" Hermione calls.

"Not all of them!" Harry calls back.

As we get ready to break into Bubblegum's room, I ponder over the repercussions we might face, it's a bit funny, honestly. Someone as smart as I am being as rebellious as I am isn't a common sight to see, but here we are. Harry gives me a look and I keep my finger ready as he takes a breath, wand in his hand.

"Alohomora." He whispers. Us five shuffle into the room as Harry throws Floo Powder into the fire. "Alert the order if you can."

"Are you mental? We're going with you." Ron states.

"It's too dangerous." Harry fires back. I open my mouth to speak, but Hermione crouches down to his level.

"When are you going to get it into your head? We're in this together!" Hermione scolds.

"That you are." A voice I detest states, pompously. A number of Slytherins hold their wands to our necks, as well as the other members of Dumbledore's Army which had been dragged in.

"You miserable hag! When will you fight your own battles?" I snap, then I look at the boy holding Hermione, "If you so much as pull a lock of hair from her head, I will rain down on you with the force of-"

"Enough!" Umbridge shouts. I fall silent as she turns to Harry, "You were going to Dumbledore, weren't you?" She interrogates.

"No."

"Liar!" She slaps him.

"You loathsome bitch!" I shout, "By Amos, I'll have your head on a pike!"

She gives me this look that probably means to kill as a familiar face enters the room. "You sent for me... Headmistress?"

"Snape, yes." Bubblegum greets, "The time has come for answers, whether he wants to give them to me or not. Have you brought the Veritaserum?"

"I'm afraid you've used up my stores interrogating students. The last of it on Miss Chang." There's a silence where I close my eyes. "Unless you wish to poison him, and I would have the greatest sympathy if you did, I cannot help you."

"He's got Padfoot!" Harry calls after Snape, stopping the professor dead in his tracks, "He's got Padfoot at the place where it's hidden."

"Padfoot? What is Padfoot? Where what is hidden? What is he talking about, Snape?" Bubblegum questions.

Snape turns slowly and I grab my wand. "No idea." He says.

"Legillimens!" I cast. Inside his head, I keep my stay brief and simple. "They've got Sirius, they call him-"

"I know." With that, I exit his mind and fall to my knees. Snape eyes me, "If that's quite all, Mr. Hedrich, I'd like to leave." And he does.

"Very well, you leave me no choice, Potter. As this is an issue of Ministry Security, you leave me with no alternative. The Cruciatus Curse ought to loosen your tongue."

"That's illegal." Hermione speaks up.

"What Cornelius doesn't know won't hurt him." She sets his picture down on its face.

"Tell her Harry!" Hermione yells, shocking even me.

"Tell me what?"

"Well, if you won't tell her where it is, then I will." I get it, she's lying. Oh, they grow so fast.

"Where what is?"

"Hermione, you can't!" I argue to make it sound more real, "Think of Dumbledore, he wouldn't-"

"Silence, Mr. Hedrich!" Umbridge roars.

"I have to tell her, Sammy!" Hermione cries.

"You can't!"

"Tell me about what?" Bubblegum demands.

"Dumbledore's secret weapon." Hermione lies. Umbridge gets a look on her face and I can tell she's taken the bait. Hook, line and sinker. That's my girl. "I'll need Harry and Sammy, they're better than me at navigating. Especially Sammy."

"I won't help you double-cross Dumbledore, you traitor!" I play.

"Oh you will, Mr. Hedrich, unless you wish for the torture of your brother." I let my head fall and mutter my compliance as she grabs Hermione's arm with a glare, "And you'd better hope you're not lying."