75. A Part of War

We speed down the main stairs, easily fending off four death eaters on our way down. When we get to the door, I have to stop Hermione, who yelps at the contact of a spell with the door frame. I poke my head out and my jaw drops. The courtyard is destroyed, a gigantic battle taking place. Harry has to take out the guy who attacked as I just watch in disbelief.

Harry pulls me in again. "You alright?"

"Yeah. Sorry, it's just – I never imagined Hogwarts like this." I say.

"It won't be much longer." Hermione assures me, taking my hand.

Harry looks into the battle and sighs, shaking his head, "Come on." He commands. Harry leads us into the battlefield, where we almost immediately get hit with another spell. We ignore this and continue forward, now coming just feet away from a giant troll. First year flashbacks prompt me to act first, leading the way to cover behind a giant shield. It strikes the shield before returning to the battle.

We start forward again before gigantic spiders pop out of the rubble behind us. We run right through the battlefield, blasting as many Death Eaters as possible. We came in front of the troll and I point my wand at his head. "Bombarda Maxima!"

We run away before the wet explosion can go off and shower us with troll blood. We enter a hall for cover and spot a Death Eater hunched over a student, eating her. Greyback. "Veternum Locus!" I cast. The spell blasts Greyback through the arch behind him. The girl he was eating has already passed. Lavender Brown. I look back at Ron whose mouth is agape. Ava's hand holding his.

We continue, eventually making it to the other side of the battlefield, running towards a bridge overrun by dementors. Thousands of them. A gigantic patronus charm sends them away. I look at Harry. His wand isn't raised, so we turn and see a group of wizards lead at the head by Kingsley, Dad and Aberforth.

"That's my boys!" Dad cheers after us as we run down the bridge and down a flight of stairs towards the lighthouse.

When we reach the lighthouse, we hear speaking inside. I hear Snape first, "You have performed extraordinary magic with this wand, my lord, in the last two hours alone."

"No." Voldemort hisses, "No, I am extraordinary, but the wand resists me."

"There is no wand more powerful, Ollivander himself has said it." Snape replies, "Tonight, when the boy comes, it will not fail you. I am sure of it.It answers to you and you only."

"Does it?" Old V whispers.

"I – I don't –"

"The wand. Does it truly answer to me? You're a clever man, Severus, surely you must know. Where does its true loyalty lie?" Voldemort questions.

"With you of course, my lord."

"The Elder Wand cannot serve me properly because I am not its true master." Voldemort explains, "The Elder Wand belongs to the wizard who killed its last owner. You killed Dumbledore, Severus." Wait. No. Hermione takes my hand and Harry starts to focus on me. "While you live, the Elder Wand cannot truly be mine. You've been a good and faithful servant, Severus. But only I can live forever."

"My lord-" Snape starts, then he falls back against the window. Something in me breaks and Harry catches it immediately, covering my mouth as Ron grabs my other arm and Ava grabs me from the waist. All preventing me from running in and saving a man I loved.

"Nagini." Voldemort whispers, "Kill." The snake slams into Severus what sounds like six times and I hear them apparate away. Leaving Snape gasping desperately. I break free from everyone and run into the building. Snape is slumped against the window, barely breathing.