69. Captured

Wands outside start to crack spells at us and we hit the deck. Debris flies everywhere. Lovegood walks towards a balcony and roars, "Stop!! I've got him!" Hermione's eyes meet mine and I start to reach my hand out when –

CRACK!

A vase full of what must have been rocks crashes onto my hand. With an excruciating snap, I know my hand is broken. As I let out a pained shout, Hermione is forced to snatch my broken hand, already holding Harry's. Ron's got her wrist. And so we're gone.

When we land, Hermione immediately pounces me with questions. "Are you okay? is your hand broken?"

"Yeah."

"Yeah to what?"

"Both."

"Amos the Proud, Sammy!" Hermione exclaims. As she debates whether or not to try the bone-mending charm, a spell that is extremely important to get perfectly right and is especially difficult when in a situation where you don't know if you're safe, I listen to the boys.

"That treacherous old bleeder! Is there no one we can trust?!" Ron demands.

"They've kidnapped Luna because he supported me. He was just desperate." Harry huffs.

"I'll do the enchantments." The ginger grumbles. Hermione decides to do the bone-mending charm, drawing her wand. I set my eyes on Ronald.

Out from behind a tree pops three snatchers no – four. I recognize one. Scabior. He looks dead at Hermione, "Hello, beautiful." Soon snatchers surround us. I draw my wand with my non-dominant hand, non-broken and Hermione looks at me.

"Sammy..." Hermione whispers.

"Let's fucking go!" I growl, ignoring the pain of my shattered hand. As we speed away from the snatchers, we only come across more. There are what seems like hundreds of them swarming the woods. I blast as many as I can as fast as I can, Hermione doing much the same, but we soon start to realise this as a fruitless exercise. When we get thirty seconds of silence, I plant a kiss on Hermione's lips. "In case I can't later."

Then, Harry bursts through the trees. Hermione uses her wand to blast him in the face. The stinging hex. Then she turns to me. "I'm sorry, Sammy."

"Hit me with it." I consent. She does, blasting me straight to the ground. I holster my wand as I sit up, feeling my face blown up like a balloon.

I hear Harry speaking as I slowly force myself to my feet with my left arm. And move towards Hermione and Harry. The snatchers are closing in. "They exist. The Hallows." Harry manages, "But he only wants the one, the last one. That's what he's been looking for."

"What are you talking about?" Hermione demands.

"He knows where it is, You-Know-Who. He'll have it by the end of the night. He's found the Elder Wand." Harry whispers, gravely. We are all apprehended by snatchers. The one who grabs Hermione is particularly rough.

"You motherfucker!" I roar, fighting fruitlessly against the snatcher holding me in his clutches. For my efforts, I earn a fist to the gut.

"Your boyfriend'll get worse than that if he doesn't behave, lovely." Scabior muses, coming towards us. Then he stops at me and Harry, "What happened to you two?" Not waiting for an answer, he continues, "What're your names?"

"Vernon." Harry answers, "Vernon Dudley."

I don't answer immediately, so Scabior comes closer. "You know what I can do, right? To you? To her?"

"Paul." I spit, "Paul Dudley."

"Now was that so hard?"

"Fuck you."