37. The Not-So-Little Mermaids

Me, Hermione and Harry talk on the bridge looking over the landscape surrounding Hogwarts. "Harry, you told me you'd figure the egg out weeks ago. The task is two days from now."

"Really? I had no idea." Harry retorts sarcastically.

"Have you tried meditation? I hear it does wonders for thinking." I suggest.

"No, but I don't have the patience to meditate anyway." Harry groans, putting his head down.

"You are trying to figure this egg out, aren't you?" Hermione asks.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Harry retorts.

Hermione touches Harry's shoulder. "It means; these tasks are supposed to test you, in the most brutal way. They're almost cruel! And -- um -- I'm scared for you. You got by the dragon mostly on nerve, but I'm not sure that's going to be enough this time." The entire time she speaks, I smile at her eyebrows' constant moving to emphasize her point. It's a really cute mannerism I haven't noticed until now.

"Potter!" A voice calls. Cedric. Hermione and I kiss each other on the cheek to say goodbye as she prepares for class -- again, the one we don't share.

"Cedric." Harry greets, me standing at his side.

"Oh hey, Sam. Congrats on King, I know I'm late but I don't like interrupting people. Only reason I just did is because this is important."

"Thanks."

"Yeah, look, I realise I never really thanked you properly for tipping me off about those dragons." Cedric says.

"Forget about it. I'm sure you would have done the same for me." Harry says.

"Exactly. You know the Prefects' bathroom on the fifth floor?" Cedric asks. Harry nods. "It's not a bad place for a bath. Just take your egg and mull things over in the hot water." With this, he sort of awkwardly nods and leaves me and Harry alone.

Harry looks at me. "What do you think?"

"I say you try it." I reply.

"What are you gonna do?"

"Probably see Hagrid, I haven't yet. I want to before it snows again."

"Well, have fun. If I see Hermione I'll tell her where you are."

"Thanks." I turn and walk towards Hagrid's hut. I knock on the door and the giant wizard opens it.

"Sammy! Oh, it's such a pleasure to see yeh! Where's 'Ermione?"

"In class. Are you wearing cologne? Wait, you combed?!"

"Er... well yes. I 'ave company yeh see."

Madam Maxime appears from the hut. "Hagrid? Who is it? Oh! It's the Yule Ball King! Samuel, is it?"

"...Yes."

"Oh, you and that girl were brilliant! So romantic." Maxime compliments.

"I hadn't seen as much chemistry since yer mum an' dad." Hagrid adds.

"Thanks. Am I interrupting something?"

"No, no, not at all!" Maxime exclaims, "We were actually just talking about you." She says as I take a seat, petting Fang. "You are a great dancer."

"Thanks, we winged the entire thing."

"You dance li' yer mum wanted yer dad to. No doubt she taugh' yeh."

"Yeah. She did."

"So wha' are you doin' ou' 'ere? I'n't school in session?"

"Yeah, but I have the period off while Golden takes... shoot, I can't remember. She takes a class." I sigh.