24. Birthdays, Werewolves and Quidditch

A/N: Sorry it's late, I had a long holiday, with regular work and school work, I needed the day to rest. Here is this weeks chapter.

Snape stands in the center of the class as I watch him with eyes of confused intrigue, a spot saved next to me for Hermione. It's her birthday. She and I were lucky enough to wake up early Sunday morning and clean to make it look as if we slept separately. The only person who saw us was Ginny who had just come back from using the restroom. Now it's Wednesday, the night of the full moon.

Snape pulls a screen down over the blackboard and utters a simple sentence, "Turn to page three-hundred ninety-four."

"Excuse me, sir, but... where's Professor Lupin?" Harry asks.

"That's not really your concern, is it, Potter? Suffice it to say, your Professor finds himself incapable of teaching at the present time. Page three-hundred ninety-four." He starts the projector and stands at the back of the class.

"Werewolves?" Ron asks, confused. I must say I am too, unless... he knows.

"But, sir, we've only just begun learning about Red Caps and Hinkypunks. We're not meant to start nocturnal beasts for weeks --" Hermione says, appearing in her seat and making me jump. 

"Quiet!" The teacher calls, walking to the front of the class. "Now. Which of you can tell me the difference between an Animagus and a werewolf?" Hermione's hand shoots up followed slowly by mine. "No one? How disappointing."

Hermione insists, "Please, sir. An Animagus is a wizard who elects to turn into an animal. A werewolf has no choice in the matter. Furthermore, the werewolf actively hunts humans and responds only to the call of its own kind --" Malfoy howls like a wolf and the teacher glares at him.

"Quiet, Malfoy!" Then to Hermione, "Miss... Granger... this is the second time you've spoken out of turn. Answer me this, how is anyone supposed to learn anything if you bark out the answers to everything like an untrained dog?"

"He's got a point you know." Ron mutters.

"Shut it, Weasley." I snap.

"Mr. Hedrich, have you anything to add?"

"Yes, if I can explain quantum theory." I reply sarcastically, standing up, "You see, it all starts with Sir Isaac Newton, the idiot who got concussed by an apple-"

"That's quite enough Mr. Hedrich." He says, menacingly. I shrug and sit.

"You asked me to add."

"This is your final warning." Snape snaps, he focuses on Hermione once more, "As an antidote to your ignorance, I prescribe two rolls of parchment on the werewolf by tomorrow morning, with... particular emphasis placed on recognizing it." Yep, he knows. The class groans. "And for our brilliant... young... authors, make it four."

"Sir, it's quidditch tomorrow!" Harry complains.

"Then I suggest you take extra care, Mr. Potter. Loss of limb will not excuse you." He says, getting in Potter's face.

"Four pages?" I call out, snapping Snape's attention from Harry as I kick my feet onto the desk, "I can do you ten, just take her down to two." I shrug, smirking.

Snape is struggling to hold back a smile, "Twenty."

"Deal."

"Ms. Granger, you must complete two rolls of parchment instead of four."

"Yes sir." Hermione sighs.

"And thanks to yours and your... boyfriend's interruptions, five points will be taken from Gryffindor." The class snickers as Snape continues, "Now the term Were comes from..."