39. The Bad Apple

We sit in a stadium overlooking a massive hedge maze, Hermione between me and Ron. I'm no closer than I was a month ago to connecting the clues, I have a stare set on Moody who's impatiently pacing the field. "Lighten up, would you? This is Harry's big day!" Ron exclaims.

"I doubt he'd do anything under Dumbledore's watch." Hermione whispers.

"What about in the maze? Something bad's about to happen, but I don't know what." I put my head in my hands.

"Why are you so sure?" Ron asks.

"This is Sammy we're talking about, Ron." Hermione snaps. "You'll be okay?"

"I have to be." I decide.

The music starts playing and the champions take the field. Cedric comes out with his dad, Fleur with Maxime, Krum with Igor and Harry with Dumbledore. Why Cedric came out with specifically his dad and nobody else did is unbeknownst to me as Dad showed up himself, clapping in the teacher's boothe between Snape and Hagrid. Dumbledore starts without the amplifier. "Earlier today, Professor Moody placed the Triwizard Cup deep within the maze. Only he knows its exact position. Now as Mr. Diggory-" The Hufflepuffs and Slytherin cheer. "-and Mr. Potter-" Gryffindor and Ravenclaw cheer, I clap a bit, still fixated on Moody, but Hermione gives enough for the both of us. "-tied for first position, they will be the first to enter the maze. Followed by Mr. Krum." The Bulgarians roar in support. "The first person to touch the cup will be the winner. I've instructed the staff to patrol the perimeter, if at any point should a contestant wish to withdraw from the task he or she need only send up red sparks with their wands. Contestants! Gather round. Quickly!" They gather around Dumbledore.

Hermione takes my hand as he sits. "This'll be fine. He's standing right by Harry, I don't see any reason for him to try something right?"

"Junior is still out there."

"Champions! Prepare yourselves!" Dumbledore calls. They all pick an entrance. "On the count of three! One..." BOOM! The cannon goes off and the band starts playing again. Harry and Cedric enter slowly, soon joined by Krum and lastly, Fleur.

For over an hour, we wait and wait until a pit forms in my stomach. "Something's gone wrong."

"What?" Hermione asks.

"Something's gone wrong." I repeat, "With Harry and Cedric -- I don't know what, but something's happened. There's a pit in my stomach like-"

"-when you fought Tom Riddle in the Chamber of Secrets." She finishes. I nod and she takes my hand. The anticipation rises and rises as the pit gets deeper and deeper. When suddenly Harry and Cedric appear out of thin air, covered in dirt. The band starts up again and we start celebrating. That is until I realise something is terribly wrong as Harry holds Cedric tight, weeping uncontrollably. Hermione's jaw drops as does mine as she realises what's happening. Dumbledore and Dad rush into the field and try to pry Harry away from Cedric. The music cuts off and a hushed silence befalls the crowd. Harry fights against Dad and Dumbledore until they back off. "For God's sake, Dumbledore, what's happened?!" Fudge cries

"He's back!" Harry cries. "He's back! Voldemort's back. Cedric asked me to bring his body back. I couldn't leave him! Not there."

Dad pulls Harry into a hug as Dumbledore tries to console him. "It's alright Harry, it's alright. He's home. You both are." Hermione starts to tear up and I feel that pressure in my head always feel right before I cry. I pull Hermione into a tight hug. She doesn't have to see any more of that. I try to stay strong as I console her as best I can with my touch, rubbing her back and head.

"Keep everybody in their seats. A boy has just been killed. The body must be moved, Dumbledore, there are too many people." Fudge says.

"Let me through!" a voice calls, "Let me through!" Amos Diggory. "That's my son! My little boy!" He wails, falling before the limp body of Cedric Diggory and crying into his fallen son. The pressure in my head wins and I start to cry as well, holding onto Hermione as I start shuddering.