Chapter Six

Asher

Wendy and I got back to the harbor twenty minutes later. We rode the hour long drive to her house in silence. I parked in front of her house and we both got out the car. I kissed her good-bye before she went inside. I sped home, knowing that the Head Alpha has been waiting for over an hour. Even at the speed I was going, I got to the pack house another hour later.

I started walking to the front door, when the sweetest smell invaded my nose. 'Mate,' Gavin, my wolf, growled. My mate? In the pack house? I slowly walked to the front door and opened it. The scent was even stronger. It was like vanilla and lavender. I looked around for the owner of the scent.

A girl walked out of the kitchen. She was stunning. She had shiny, blonde hair. A grey top with a belt. She wore black boots, black pants, and a black leather jacket. My eyes met hers, and I saw all of her emotions. Relief. Happiness. I just wanted to wrap her in my arms and never let her go.

But I couldn't. I had Wendy. She was set to be my Luna. I couldn't just cancel her Luna ceremony. She was so excited to be Luna. I didn't want to be the cause of her despair. I blocked out Gavin so he wouldn't be able to protest. This girl isn't good for us anyway. Her power is obvious. She probably has Alpha blood. She'd make me leave my pack or she'd have to leave hers. I studied her for a moment. She looked confident. Too confident. We probably won't even be able to rule the pack together. We would just be in each other's way. I quickly convinced myself that me and her wouldn't work out.

As much as it pained the wolf in me. I wiped my face of any emotion and walked up to her. I looked her in the eyes. "I, Alpha Asher Reed, reject you as my mate and Luna." She looked like she was about to fall to her knees. I just broke her. Not being able to watch, I walked up stairs and into my bed room.

'What the fuck is your problem?!' Gavin yelled at me when I unblocked him.

'She's not good for us. We already have Wendy,' I told him.

'You don't even know her name! How do you know if she isn't good for us?'

'She's an Alpha. That brings complications. She would hurt Wendy if I accepted her,' I explained my reasons. Gavin growled at me and stopped responding.

I sighed and mind-linked Brian. 'I'm back. Where's Mr. Head Alpha?' I asked.

'Alpha Ryan is in a guest room. He was exhausted. Don't bother him,' Brian told me.

'I just wanna get this over with.'

'Well if you were here earlier, this meeting would be done,' he snapped. And with that, he blocked me out his mind. I laid in bed, thinking about my mate. Her wavy blonde hair. Her beautiful light skin. Her hypnotizing blue eyes. I told myself that she was already messing up my life. She would be too much of a distraction with her bright smile and sweet scent.

After a while, I shook the thoughts out my head and headed over to Wendy's. She could distract me.

When I got to her house, Wendy opened the door. "Hey. I wasn't exp-" She was cut off when I crushed my lips on hers. I led her back into the house and closed the door with my foot. Wendy didn't question my actions as I took us into her bedroom. I took off her clothes and threw them on the floor. Then all thoughts of my mate drifted away.

*****

I walked back into the pack house around two in the morning. My mate's scent still filled the house. She's still here. I followed her scent upstairs. I stopped where the scent was its strongest, outside one of the guestrooms. I turned the knob, but it was locked. Why would she lock it? I strained my hearing and heard her soft snores and steady heart beat. She's sleeping? Why is she here anyway? She should've left when I rejected her.