Chapter Twenty-Six

Genevieve

Pain.

That's all I felt. That's all I could feel, it overpowered the little amount of love that I was hanging on to; and it hurt like hell.

"Babe?" Shawn asked concerned, causing Asher to growl.

I leaned my head against the head board and tightly closed my eyes before any tears flowed out.

Everything hit me hard. My parents are dead. Their killer kidnapped me and tied up my little brother. My mate is a complete ass. He almost killed my wolf. I shouted at everyone. I hurt everyone. I even hurt Matthew.

The sorrow, disappointment, envy, melancholy, guilt- it filled my entire body and it was eating me up.

"Eve," Asher said softly.

I stayed silent and brought my knees up to my chest. I wrapped my arms around my legs then buried my face into my knees.

"Are you okay?" Shawn asked.

I pursed my lips to hold in a sob that was itching to get out. But I wouldn't cry. I couldn't cry because if I cried, I know that I wouldn't be able to stop. I shook my head to answer Shawn's question.

"Talk to us," Asher begged. But I couldn't talk. Because once I open my mouth, I would cry. I knew that no words would come out, just whimpers and sobs.

"Do you want me to get someone? Ryan? Or Jordyn? Matthew?" Shawn offered.

When my little brother's name left his mouth, all my plans of not crying, crashed down. My body violently shook. Tears flowed down my cheeks to a small puddle on my bed. A loud sob escaped my lips and I buried my face in my hands.

Asher engulfed me in his arms and rocked us back and forth. "Shh... It's all gonna be oka,y" he whispered.

I shook my head in his chest. "M-my parents a-are dead, Ash-er," I stuttered.

"I know, Eve," Asher said softly. I could hear the sadness in his voice, reminding me that he actually knew what it felt like to lose his parents.

The sight made me cry even harder. I buried my head in his chest and clung onto him like my life depended on it- because in that moment, it did. As much as I would hate to admit it, I need Asher. I've always have, but I was pushing him away.

"I'm s-sorry," I whimpered.

"You have nothing to be sorry about," Asher said while rubbing my back.

"I hurt you," I stated sadly.

Asher kissed the top of my head. "I hurt you, too," he whispered. "If anyone should be apologizing, its me."

I loudly sobbed in his chest. He held me as I cried for over an hour, soaking his shirt in tears. "Please stop crying," Asher pleaded.

I hiccupped as I spoke. "A-all I feel is the p-pain," I said honestly. The pain from everything was too much.

"That's the thing about pain. It demands to be felt," Asher said softly, and I got distracted from the pain.

I let out a small chuckle and wiped away the rest of my tears. "Did you just quote Augustus Waters from The Fault in Our Stars?" I sniffled while tipping my head up to look at him.

"Maybe," Asher mumbled as his cheeks heated up.

I giggled and lightly rested my head back on his chest. "You're blushing," I stated.

"This never happened," Asher said, causing me to smile.

I took a deep breath and wrapped my arms around his waist. "You're shirt is wet," I mumbled.