Chapter Thirty-One

Genevieve

"Heal him," Hope said.

My eyes widened. I looked back and forth between my brother and Hope. "How do I do this?" I asked. Hope grabbed my hands and positioned one over Matthew's wound and the other on his head.

"When you shift, you imagine yourself in your wolf form. When you heal, just imagine yourself healing Matthew. Imagine the blood going away, imagine the wound closing, imagine him healthy," she said.

I closed my eyes and focused on Matthew. I pictured him in his room. We were playing with his Legos while Asher was playing with Elise. We had pillow fights. We ate breakfast together. We watched movies. I tucked him into bed a night. I pictured the gash closing up and leaving just a faint scar, the size of my thumb. I heard a gasp and I opened my eyes.

All the blood was gone. Matthew's eyes fluttered open and he started blinking. "Matthew?" I asked.

"Eve?" he asked and tried to sit up. "My brain hurts," he groaned.

I sighed in relief and hugged my brother close to my chest. I almost lost him. "I love you so much Matthew," I whispered as tears flowed down my cheeks.

"Uh... I love you too Eve," Matthew said slowly.

I pulled away from him and looked at his confused face. "You don't remember," I stated.

"Remember what?" he questioned.

I shook my head and just continued to hug him. "It doesn't matter anymore," I mumbled.

*****

"Eve. Let go," Matthew whined.

Asher chuckled from behind us and pried my hands off my little brother. "You've been holding him for almost two hours. The kid needs to breathe," he said as Matthew ran out the room.

"I can't help it," I said quietly as Asher wrapped his arms around my waist and rested his chin on the top of my head. "I almost lost him Asher."

"But you didn't. Matthew is okay. You saved him," Asher whispered before kissing my mark, making my legs turn into Jell-O. I sighed and leaned against his chest. "Why didn't you tell me you can heal people?" Asher questioned.

"I just found out. That was the first time I've ever healed someone," I stated.

"What happened? How did they hurt Matthew?" he asked hesitantly.

"There were six guys. One of them held Matthew. He had a knife with him. Uh... another guy came and he started chanting. I think he was a witch. After he stopped talking, all the rogues just left. But the guy stabbed Matthew," I explained.

"Did he get away?" Asher asked while shaking with anger.

I turned around in his arms and clasped my hands behind his neck. I buried my face in his chest and mumbled. "I killed him, Asher."

He sighed. Tears rolled down my cheeks. "I killed someone," I choked. I never had to actually kill someone. I was trained in case of an emergency, but if there was any problems we had guards to take care of the situation. I'm Queen. I'm supposed to protect our species not kill them. Asher gently wiped my tears away and hugged me close to his chest.

"You were defending Matthew. The rogue was a threat. You just disposed of a problem. You shouldn't feel sorry for protecting your family," Asher cooed. I silently nodded in his chest. "So.. this witch," Asher said. "What did he say?"

I shrugged. "It wasn't English," I stated.

"Can you pronounce it?" he asked.

I nodded and replayed the man's words in my head. "Um... dát... vám... uh..." I recited slowly. "Dát vám... um.. moc. Dát vám moc."