Chapter Twenty-Three

Genevieve

"What are you talking about?" I questioned the doctor.

The doctor took a step away from the cage. "You're wolf, she isn't there."

"How isn't her wolf there? Wolves don't just disappear," Jacobs stated.

"They don't disappear, but they can die," the doctor informed us.

Ingrid died. I didn't feel anything. I should have felt if she died. But I didn't even feel her before she died. I don't even know when she died. My eyes widened. "She died?!" I shouted. "How did she die?!"

"Your mate," Jacobs said. "You survived, but naturally, wolves have a stronger connection with their mates. She died because the connection was stronger to her," he explained.

"Every time that your mate hurt you, it was worst for your wolf. She died, but somehow, you survived," the doctor added.

Asher killed my wolf. My mate killed a part of me. Half of me is missing. He completely changed me. I don't have a wolf. "So I'm not a werewolf anymore?" I questioned.

The doctor shook his head. "Without a wolf, you can't shift. You don't have extra strength or enhanced senses. You're human."

I let go of the cell bars and sat crisscross on the bed. How could Ingrid die, but I didn't feel anything?

"Will her emotions come back?" Hefner asked the doctor.

"I have no idea. I never heard of a wolf dying while the host's emotions were off," the doctor stated.

"Do you feel anything?" Jacobs asked me.

I shrugged. "I really fucking hate my mate. Does that count?" I said coldly.

The doctor sighed. "Hatred and anger are the two feelings that weres feel after they turn off their emotions. They turn sadistic. They live off of negativity because that's all they feel."

Jacobs thanked the doctor, then told Hefner and the doctor to leave. We sat- well, I sat, he stood- in silence. I played with my fingers for almost an hour before he spoke.

"My men said that Alpha Hayes is coming to get you," Jacobs informed me. I nodded in response. "Reed and his pack are going with him."

My head snapped up and I looked at Jacobs. "Reed? As in Asher? My mate?" I questioned.

"They should actually be here soon," he stated.

"What's today?"

"Its Sunday," Jacobs told me.

I raised an eyebrow. "Why are you so calm? Shouldn't you be like preparing or something?" I mused.

Jacobs shook his head. "Ryan isn't gonna kill me," he stated confidently.

I scoffed. "I'm pretty sure the first thing he'll do is kill you."

Jacobs chuckled. "He can't kill me."

"Are you immortal?" I questioned.

"Nope. I'm just the only person who knows where his mate is."

"You took Jordyn?" I said slowly.

Jacobs nodded. "I didn't take the baby though. I'm not that cruel."

I rolled my eyes at him. "You're cruel enough to tie up a six-year old and take someone's mate."

"I didn't hurt your little brother. And your mate was busy when I took you. Jordyn's mate was busy when I took her. These Alphas really need to keep a better eye on their mates," Jacobs stated.