fourty nine | welcome back

The morning sun shone through the curtains of Zuko's chambers as he held a sleeping Mari in his arms and watched as she slept gently. He brought his hand to her forehead and brushed hair out of her face. The gesture woke her up and she smiled at the boy before her.

"Good morning." She whispered.

He smiled in return. The two stood there for a moment before Zuko sat up. "We're leaving to meet the others in Ba Sing Se later today. Is there anywhere you'd like to stop during the journey?"

Mari looked up at the ceiling. "Just a few places."

Zuko nodded, getting up. "I'll tell the captain of the ship to change out course slightly before we depart."

Mari smiled. "Thank you."

---

Zuko helped her off the ship as they walked through the woods to a familiar gate. The door opened, revealing a neat village. Women dressed in long robes welcomed the guests.

"Look's who's returned." Said an elderly voice.

Mari turned with a smile. "It's nice to see you again, Hana." She said, bringing the nun into a hug.

"This was certainly unexpected." Said Mother Superior from behind Hana. Mari bowed to her, who bowed back. "A pleasant surprise though. However, I assume you're not here for tea."

"How's he doing?" Mari said with a laugh.

"He's certainly missed you." Hana responded, leading her to the stables.

Mari laughed at the sight of the blue feather sticking up from the door.

"Chi?" She called out. Immediately, the head of an ostrich horse peaked out. The animal began to jump excitedly at the sight of Mari.

Hana smiled, as she opened the stable door and Chi ran out, almost trampling the girl.

"I've missed you too." She whispered to the animal as it nuzzled it's head against her neck.

Mari turned to Zuko who stood there, watching her. She motioned for him to come over and see Chi.

As soon as he made his way over, Chi looked at him hesitantly. "It's okay, boy." Mari said. Chi then placed his head in Zuko's hand, earning a smile from the Fire Lord.

Taking the reigns, Mari led him out of the Abbey, wishing everyone her goodbye's and thanks.

---

"Drop the anchors! Our last stop before Ba Sing Se!" Shouted the captain.

As the ship docked, Mari walked with Zuko as the sun set over the horizon. Eventually, they made their way to a small village.

"I don't think I can do this." Mari said halting. She looked up at him her hands trembling slightly.

"Of course you can. You're strong Mari." He said grabbing her hand. Leaning down, he kissed her gently, his other moving to the small of her back.

Resting her head on his chest she looked at the familiar village before her.

"But you don't have to do it now. This is your choice." Zuko said to her.

Mari shook her head. "No, it's time." She paused.

Knocking on a door a tall boy with dark hair and bright green eyes opened it.

"Mari?" He questioned, his eyes flickering to Zuko. "What are you doing here?" He asked her.

"You know why." She said to him.

Pushing the door open, Mari walked in, her mother's scroll in hand. Zuko following behind her.

"Who's there, son?" Called a man.

Walking into view the man paused when he saw her. His head tilted. His eyes growing angry.

"You." He growled.

Mari stood straighter up, staring at him right in his cold eyes.

"Hello Father."