twenty three | girl talk

"Mari!" Katara ran into her room, followed by Sokka and Toph.

The half asleep girl opened her eyes slowly taking in her surroundings. "What's wrong" She said, rubbing her eyes.

"Aang left! He was upset before we went out to the market earlier today, and I'm afraid he's going to do something he shouldn't without help." Katara said pulling her off the bed.

"We're taking Appa to go find him." Toph included.

"Four pairs of eyes are better than three." Sokka insisted.

Toph turned to him with a scoff.

"Oh right- Three pairs of eyes are better than two." He corrected.

"Guys, we need to leave now, Mari are you coming or not?" Katara cut the two off.

Mari nodded. "I am, let me change

---

"Where do you think he could've gone." Katara said looking down below.

"You're not going to be able to find him this late at night." Mari told the girl.

"We have to try."

Sokka and Toph exchanged glances.

After hours of searching, dim rays of sunlight began to arise from the horizon. Mari continued to search the endless ocean for any sign of Aang, while Sokka and Toph were asleep behind her. Mari turned to Katara, noticing the dark circles under the waterbender's eyes.

"Katara, you should rest. I'll continue looking."

She only shook her head. "I won't rest until we find Aang."

Mari turned back to the ocean, sitting in silence. The only sounds where that of the wind rustling through the girl's hair and Appa's low mumbles.

"I never thanked you for helping Aang and I escape." Katara said.

Mari looked over, not saying anything.

"I wish I could be thanking Iroh too, but.." Katara trailed off. "I also never asked how you ended up traveling with Zuko and Iroh."

Mari cleared her throat thinking back to how she had first met the uncle and nephew duo. "Uh, it was back when I met you at The Abbey in the earth kingdom, when Zuko and that bounty hunter attacked the village in search of Aang. Shortly after you left for the North Pole, I made a deal with Zuko."

"A deal? Why would you make a deal with him?" Katara asked

"My mother was captured a while ago, taken to some prison I suppose. My father said it was my fault, and banished me from my home. It's been my drive ever since she was taken to get her back and return with her to my father and brother, so even though I knew it was wrong, I allied with Zuko to help him capture the Avatar, and in return he'd free my mother."

"So you've been helping him try and capture Aang this whole time?" Katara asked, turning her head away from the water, anger growing in her voice

"I-" Mari paused growing ashamed. "It was the only thing I could do Katara, I've spent the last three years looking for the only thing I had left, my mom. And no matter how hard I tried, nothing was working. Then an opportunity comes to me on a shining platter, how could I not take it."

Katara stayed quiet. "You're right. My mother died when I was young, if she were still alive, I would do anything to see her again, so I don't blame you. I blame Zuko, he's horrible, caused us nothing but trouble. I can't even process how you stayed with him so long."

Mari chuckled.

"What?" Katara asked looking at her.

"Nothing- You're absolutely right. He is horrible. The funny thing is, he made me think he wasn't."

"What do you mean?"

"After the months I've traveled with Zuko, I let my guard down, I let myself open up to him, I trusted him. Then, when he betrayed his Uncle and I in Ba Sing Se.." Mari looked down. "Nevermind. I know now that I need to correct my mistakes and help the Avatar end this war. Then I can get my mother, and return to my family and forget anything ever happened."

"But do you really want to forget?" Katara questioned softly.

Mari said nothing in return.