one | the abbey

'

Mari flinched at the rumble of thunder, shielding her face from the rain that began to pour harder. "Faster Chi!" She pleaded to the ostrich horse. Another flash of lightening crashed into the tree next to the two and the animal flung backward in fear. Mari screamed as she lost her grip on the reigns causing her to fall backwards. She felt her ankle twist dangerously as she hit the forest floor. "No! Chi please!" She called out as the ostrich horse ran off.

She stumbled up, her vision blinded by the storm and pain shooting from her foot. Unable to move, her heart raced as she covered her head praying that she'd stay out of the path of lightning. Instinctively, she stomped her good foot in the ground and raised her hands over her head. As she did so three large slabs of earth rose from around her forming a protective tepee.

She squeezed her legs against her chest, leaning against the rock. She tried to calm herself down and ride out the storm but it was interrupted by another strike of lightening close bye, causing her to scream.

"Hello?" Shouted a voice muffled by the rain. "Hello is anyone out there?" it said again louder.

"H-here!" Mari shouted from the rock slabs.

She heard footsteps run over and a figure bent down near the entrance. "Oh my, I heard a scream and I new someone was out here. Come dear, let me take you to shelter." Said an elderly lady with long robes and a cloth headpiece.

Mari nodded grabbing the woman's hand. "Follow me!" She shouted over the rain. The lady halted when she took notice to Mari's swollen foot and stiff limp. The woman propped herself under Mari's right shoulder and helped her walk towards a large gate. The wall surrounding the gate were tall and strong stone, protecting the neat, small village inside. "Please come inside." She said as the two made their way into a large temple shaped building.

Inside were many more woman, dressed in the same clothing. They were holding blankets and cups of tea, awaiting the arrival of the two.

"You were right, there was someone out there." Said one.

"What was she doing out there alone?" Said another.

After being wrapped in blankets and given steaming cups of tea, Mari turned to find the woman from earlier. "Thank you." She said to her.

"Of course my dear. I am Sister Hana. The woman you see around you are all sisters of this Abbey. And you are?"

"Mari." She replied.

"Very beautiful name. Why were you out in this terrible storm alone?"

"Well I did have my ostrich horse, Chi. But he ran off in fright." Mari said sipping her tea, shifting her weight to her good foot. Some sisters noticed this and sat her down in a chair, and immediately went to work applying pressure and ointments to her injury.

One of the woman smiled. "Did he have a blue feather on the top of his head?" She asked.

Mari nodded.

"He's here with us. He must have smelled the perfume." She said.

"Here at the Abbey we make organic perfume to sell around the world. I guess you could say it's a hobby." Said a voice.

Mari turned around to see an elegant elderly lady in front of her.

"This is Mother Superior. She is our leader here." Hana said with a smile.

"It's good to see you are safe, young one. Please stay here to rest you're foot as long as you need before you carry on with your travels." She said.

"Thank you very much." Mari said and bowed a thanks.

"We just ask one thing." Mother Superior continued.

"No littering" The crowd of sisters said simultaneously causing them to laugh lightly.

Mari smiled and nodded at the random comment