forty four | old friends part 2

It took a day to finally reach their destination, a tear in the outer wall of Ba Sing Se.

"We're going to Ba Sing Se?"

"Your Uncle is somewhere beyond the wall. Nyla is getting twitchy, so it can't be too far. Good luck." June said before riding off.

"It's been a long day. Let's camp and start our search again at dawn." Zuko spoke.

The rest nodded before unpacking the essentials off of Appa.

Everyone was alseep within an hour, due to the long day of traveling.

However, their sleep was interrupted by the sound of flames being shot out around them. Jumping to their feet, the looked up to see who had created the ring of fire surrounding them. Four elderly men stood on the broken pieces of concrete, looking down at them.

"Well, look who's here." Said one.

The men eventually made their way down to them, one of them diminishing the flames.

"What's going on? We're surrounded by old people." Said Toph.

"Not just any old people, these are great masters and friends of ours." Katara explained. "Pakku!" Katara smiled, bowing to one.

He bowed in return. "It is respectful to bow to an old master. But how about a hug for your new grandfather?"

"That's so exciting! You and Gran gran must be so happy to have found each other again!" Katara smiled hugging him.

"I made her a new betrothal necklace and everything."

"Welcome to the family Gramp Gramp." Sokka exclaimed hugging him.

"You can still just call me Pakku." He said, shoving the boy off.

"How about Grandpa Pakku?" Sokka smiled.

"No."

"And this was Aang's first firebending teacher." Katara said to Zuko.

"Jeong Jeong." The man introduced with a boy.

"Master Piandao." Sokka bowed to his swordsman teacher.

"Hello, Sokka."

"So wait, how do you all know each other?" Suki asked.

"All old people know each other, don't you know that." Said Bumi, the King of Omashu.

"We're all part of the secret ancient society, a group that transcends the division of the four nations." Piandao stated.

"The Order of the White Lotus." Zuko said

"That's the one!" Bumi smiled.

"The White Lotus has always been about philosophy, and beauty and truth." Jeong Jeong continued. "But about a month ago, a call went out that we were needed for something important."

"It came from a grand lotus, your uncle, Iroh of the Fire Nation." Pakku added on.

"Well that's who we're looking for!" Toph said

"The we'll take you to him"

"Wait! Someone's missing from your group." Bumi said butting in. "Someone very important. Where's Momo?"

"He's gone, and so is Aang." Sokka said.

"Oh well, so long as they have each other, I'm sure we have nothing to worry about." Bumi snorted. He was definitely on the kook side.

"Let's go."

"So Bumi, how did you end up escaping your imprisonment in Omashu?" Sokka asked as they walked to the campsite away from the wall of Ba Sing Se.

"Escape? I didn't escape. Everybody else escaped. There I was, back in Omashu, waiting for just the right moment. I didn't know what or when, but I knew I'd know it when I knew it! When I saw the eclipse I used that as an advantage and forced the Fire Nation soldiers out!"

"Wow! You took back your whole city all by yourself." Suki gasped.

"So what about you guys, did you do anything interesting the day of the eclipse?" Bumi asked.

"Nah, not really." Sokka and Zuko said immediately.

---

Bumi lowered a boulder and opened his arms. "Well here we are. Welcome to old people camp."

"Where is he?" Zuko asked.

"Your uncle is in there, Prince Zuko." Piandao said, pointing to a tent straight ahead.

Zuko nodded and walked towards the tent, only to halt before sitting down outside of it.

"Are you okay?" Katara asked him.

"No, I'm not okay."

Katara looked up at Mari, who nodded before switching places with Katara, everyone else leaving to give him space.

"Zuko what's wrong." She said sitting down next to him.

"My uncle hates me, I know it. He loved me and supported me in every way he could, and I still turned against him. How can I even face him?"

"Zuko, are you sorry for what you did?"

"More sorry than I've been about anything in my entire life."

"Then he'll forgive you. He loves you so much, you're like a son to him. That love will never go away just becuase you made a mistake."

Zuko looked up at her before standing up. "Can you come with me?"

Mari smiled before shaking her head. "No. This is a part of your journey that you need to face alone. You can do it." She said placing her hand on his.

Before walking forward, he pulled Mari into a hug. Surprised at first, she hesitated, but then wrapped her arms around his waist and rested her head against his chest.

"Thank you Mari." He whispered.

She nodded before pulling away. "It's time."

Zuko nodded as well before walking into the tent.