five | planning stage

"No. Absolutely not."

"Mari. It's not a question, it's the only way to get in without suspicion." Zuko said rolling his eyes.

"It's one thing you telling someone I'm a mute maid. But acting like one? That's humiliating."

"As far as we're concerned, Zhao thinks Zuko is dead. This gives us an advantage, I'll accept his offer to join his mission and you'll accompany me as my assistant. Zuko will be disguised as one of Zhao's soldiers. And boom, a one way ticket to the North Pole." Iroh explained.

Mari paused. It was a good plan, yes. But she was known for her big mouth. How was she supposed to act mute for 5 days straight.

"Fine." She said unenthusiastically.

"I will write to Admiral Zhao now, letting him know I have changed my mind. This plan will only work if we play it 100% safe. Zhao cannot know you are an earthbender and definitely not know Zuko is alive."

Mari and Zuko nodded.

---

5 Days before the attack

"Welcome." Zhao said as the guards escorted Mari and Iroh into the commanders chambers.

Iroh nodded a bow. Mari did the same, a pot of tea in her hands.

"You've met Mari. She's my personal assistant, unfourtounetly, she can't speak. But she serves good tea, so it makes up for it." Iroh said with a chuckle.

Mari bit the inside of her cheek and flashed a fake smile.

"Well get to pouring. We have much to speak about. Zhao said sitting down at the table. Iroh followed and sat across from him as Mari began to pour tea into wooden cups.

"I'm devastated to hear about Prince Zuko. Just devastated." Zhao said falsely.

"The fire lord will not be pleased when he learns who is responsible." Iroh replied.

"You know who was behind the attacks?" Zhao asked.

"Yes. Pirates. We had a run in with them a while back. They wanted revenge"

"So. Have you considered my offer?" Zhao continued.

"Yes. I accept. It will be an honor to serve as your general." Iroh said. "To the fire nation" He said raising his glass.

"To victory!" Zhao said raising his as well.

The two continued talking about the attack strategy while Mari occasionally re-filled their cups when told so. After about an hour Iroh finally called it a night and thanked Zhao for his time. After walking out of the commander's quarters. Iroh and Mari walked silently down an empty hall towards a single guard.

"Our plan is working perfectly. Zhao doesn't suspect a thing."

"You didn't have to do this." Said Zuko taking off the face covering of his guard attire.