nine | mushi, jr, & lynn

"Zuko. Stop that. We can't eat a koalaotter." Mari scolded the boy as he tried to capture it.

"Well then what are we supposed to eat? Bugs?!" He yelled.

Mari face palmed. "We'll figure it out." Zuko arose from the koalaotter dam annoyed. His hair was still short, but it had grown over his whole head. Mari couldn't deny it looked better. It also gave her a chance for another nickname.

"Come on buzz cut, let's go find your uncle." She said with a snicker.

"Stop with that name." He groaned.

Zuko and Mari pushed through the bushes until they finally found the clearing they had left Iroh at.

"We didn't find anything to eat. I can't live like this. I wasn't meant to be a fugitive. This is impossible."  he said kicking the dirt.

"Oh would you just relax." Mari rolled her eyes.

"Easy for you to say, you've been living like this since you were young. It's natural for you."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You're used to the dirt and the bugs and the heat."

"And why's that?"

"Because you've been homeless since you were 13."

"So have you! We're in the same boat you idiot."

"I come from royalty and honor. You come from a poor earthbending village. You and I are not the same.

"And where's your royalty and honor now? Haven't seen that in a while have you?"

Zuko yelled out and shot a fire blast at Mari, who quickly deflected it by bending a rock shield in front of her. She then extended her hand which sent the rock flying towards Zuko, knocking him down with force.

He got up with a growl and the two circled each other, in fighting position.

"It's beautiful..." They heard a voice. Turning around Mari and Zuko saw Iroh crouched down by a tall flower.

"Uncle, What are you doing?" Zuko asked

"You're looking at the rare White Dragon Bush. It's leaves make a tea so delicious it's heartbreaking. That, or it's the White Jade Bush, which is poisonous."

"We need food, not tea. I'm going fishing." Zuko said walking off.

"Hmm delectable tea, or deadly poison?" Iroh questioned.

"I'd rather not find out. Stay here and I'll go make sure Zuko doesn't try and eat that poor koalaotter again." Mari said following after him.

---

Zuko and Mari walked back from the stream after a very unsuccessful try at fishing.

"Zuko, Mari. Remember that plant. I thought might be tea."

"Oh my god." Mari face palmed.