thirty three | story of mari

Why would he try to fool us like that?" Mari heard Katara say as they walked back into the temple.

"Obviously he wanted to lead us into some kind of trap." Sokka replied.

"This is just like when we were in prison together at Ba Sing Se. He starts talking about his mother and making it seem like he's an actual human being with feelings." Katara replied.

"He wants you to trust and feel sorry for him so you let your guard down, then he strikes."

"The thing is, it worked. I did feel sorry for him. I felt like he was really confused and hurt, but obviously, when the time came, he made his choice, and we paid the price. We can't trust him."

"I kind of have a confession to make. Remember when you two were sick and I got captured by Zhao?" Aang spoke up.

"And you made us suck on frozen frogs? How could I forget? I had a wart on the flap that hangs down from the back of my throat for a month!"

"Sokka, I looked at it and I told you there was nothing there."

"I could feel it! It's my throat flap!"

"Anyway, when Zhao had me chained up, it was Zuko who came in and got me out. He risked his life to save me."

"The Blue Spirit...." Mari mumbled to herself quietly.

"No way! I'm sure he only did it so he could capture you himself!" Katara interrupted.

"Yeah, face it Aang. You're nothing but a big prize to him." Sokka added on.

"Yeah, you're probably right."

"And what was all that crazy stuff about setting Appa free? What a liar!"

"Actually. He wasn't lying." Mari spoke up. "I was there..." She mumbled before poking a stick at the dirt.

"Oh, hooray! In a lifetime of evil, at least he didn't add animal cruelty to the list." Sokka exclaimed.

"Considering his messed-up family and how he was raised, he could have turned out a lot worse." Toph pointed out.

"You're right, Toph. Let's go find him and give him a medal. The "not as much of a jerk as you could have been" award!" Katara scoffed.

"All I know is that while he was talking to us, he was sincere. Maybe you're all just letting your hurt feelings keep you from thinking clearly."

"Easy for you to say! You weren't there when he had us attacked by pirates!"

"Or when he burned down Kyoshi Island!"

"Or when he tried to capture me at the Fire Temple!"

"Because Katara, you're all ignoring one crucial fact. Aang needs a firebending teacher! We can't think of a single person in the world to do the job! Now one shows up on a silver platter, and you won't even think about it?" Toph exclaimed, in disbelief.

"I'm not having Zuko as my teacher!"

"Darn right you're not buddy." Joined Sokka.