twelve | lightning

Mari cooked the stew over the fire slowly. It wasn't much, but it would keep them satisfied for today. She caught her reflection in the tin pot the stew was in. Her hair had grown, but it still wasn't anywhere near where it was before she cut it. Zuko's hair had more length now as well, so did Iroh's.

"He's moving." Zuko said from Iroh's side. They had made camp in a house inside the abandoned village where they previously had battled with Azula.

"Uncle. You were unconscious. Azula did this to you. It was a surprise attack." Zuko explained as Iroh propped himself up.

"Somehow that's not so surprising." Iroh sighed

Zuko handed him a cup of tea slowly. "I hope I made it the way you like it."

Iroh took a sip and his eyes widened in disgust. "It's good." He said with a deadpan tone. He took another sip before gagging. "That was very um, bracing." He smiled.

"I told you I should've brewed it." Mari said with a small chuckle.

"He said he liked it." Zuko said offended.

"Oh yes, very much." Iroh lied with a smile. Zuko grinned proudly before handing him another cup, in which Iroh quickly threw out the window when he looked away.

"So, Uncle. I've been thinking. It's only a matter of time before I run into Azula again. I'm going to need to learn more advanced fire bending if I want to stand a change against her. I know what you're going to say : She's my sister and I should be trying to get along with her."

"No, she's crazy and needs to go down." Iroh said setting down his cup. He groaned as he stood up, holding his shoulder in pain.

"It's time to resume your training."

Zuko nodded, standing up as well.

---

"There is energy all around us. The energy is both Yin and Yang. A positive energy and a negative energy. Only a select few fire benders can separate these energies." Iroh explained on the cliff. "This creates an imbalance. The energy wants to restore balance. And in the moment the positive and negative energy come crashing back together, you provide release and guidance, creating lightning." Iroh said, motioning for Zuko to step back.

Mari and Zuko watched in shock as Iroh demonstrated, bending lightning with ease.

"I'm ready to try it!" Zuko exclaimed.

"Remember, once you separate the energy, you do not command it. You are simply its humble guide. Breathe first".

Zuko began to mimic Iroh's actions, before shooting his attempt at lightening. However, an explosion was released instead, sending him flying back.

Mari laughed hysterically from behind him. Zuko looked up in rage. "What's she even doing here?"

She shrugged her shoulders, stomach burning from laughing so hard. "Figured this would be more entertaining than cooking."