thirty seven | boiling rock part 1

Traveling on a fire nation war balloon, the three cruised across the mid-day sky.

The silence was unbearably awkward.

"Pretty clouds." Sokka said, Mari sitting beside him.

"Yeah, fluffy.." Zuko agreed.

Mari scoffed. Sokka hooked his arm behind her shoulder, silently comforting her, knowing she was annoyed.

"You know, a friend of Mari and I actually designed these war balloons." Sokka said.

"You two share friends now?" Zuko asked Mari, noticing Sokka's arm.

"Ever since I left with them after I was abandoned in Ba Sing Se, yes." Mari glared.

Zuko looked down. "That's cool." He said to Sokka.

"Yup. A balloon..but for war." Sokka said.

"If there's one thing my dad's good at, it's war." Zuko said throwing coal into the fire that kept the balloon in the air.

"Yeah, it seems to run in the family." Sokka joked.

"Hey, hold on not everyone in my family is like that."

"I know, I know, you've changed." Sokka waved his hand.

"He meant his uncle." Mari said looking at the clouds.

"He was more of a father to me. And I really let him down." Zuko admitted.

"I think your uncle would be proud of you. Leaving your home to come help us. That's hard."

Mari slowly looked up at Zuko, noticing he was already looking at her, she looked away.

"It wasn't that hard." Zuko sighed.

"Really? You didn't leave behind anyone you cared about?"

"Well.. I did have a..um" He looked down embarrassed. "My girlfriend, Mai."

Mari laughed slightly at this. Shaking her head.

"That gloomy girl that sighs alot?" Sokka asked.

"Yeah." Zuko said smiling a little. "Everyone in the Fire Nation thinks I'm a traitor. I couldn't drag her into it."

"My first girlfriend turned into the moon." Sokka said, crossing his arms.

"Zuko sword-fought my first boyfriend and got him arrested." Mari said arms crossed.

Zuko frowned at the memory of Jet and Mari. "He wasn't your boyfriend."

"Says who."

"That's rough buddy." Soma trailed off...

--

"There is is!" Said Zuko, awakening a sleeping Sokka and Mari. It was now nighttime, and they looked to see a tip of an volcano sticking out of the ocean, steam being produced from the inside.