seventeen | lake laogai

"Mushi, if you stay, I'll make you assistant manager. Wait, senior assistant manager!" Pao pleaded. Earlier, three nicely dressed men came in offering Iroh a opportunity to open a tea shop in the upper ring.

"I'll provide you with a new apartment in the upper ring. The tea shop is yours to do whatever you want, complete creative freedom."

"I even get to name the shop?" Iroh asked.

"Of course." The man responded.

"Uh, senior executive assistant manager?" Pao tried once more. Iroh smiled and handed the teapot to a sad Pao.

"Did you hear Nephew? This man wants to give us our own tea shop in the upper ring of the city!" Iroh exclaimed.

"That's right young man, your life is about to change for the better." The man added.

"I'll try to contain my joy." Zuko mumbled before walking out the door.

"You'll have to excuse him. But I think that's amazing, thank you." Mari said with a bow, placing her hand on Iroh's shoulder.

----

Iroh and Mari were back at the old apartment, packing thee rest of their clothes and things to move to the upper ring. Mari looked down at her packed bag. The upper ring was for Ba Sing Se's most important citizens- and most rich. They were in dire need of a new wardrobe and attitude if they wanted to look like they fit in.

Zuko then entered the room after a while of being out.

"So, I was thinking about names for my new tea shop. How about the Jasmine Dragon? It's dramatic, poetic, has a nice ring to it." Iroh said to Mari and Zuko. Mari nodded, liking the name.

Zuko ignored the question and pulled out a flyer. "The Avatar is here in Ba Sing Se and he's lost his bison."

Iroh took the flyer from Zuko, briefly going over it before placing it on the table. "We have a chance for a new life here. If you start stirring up trouble, we could lose all the good things that are happening for us." Iroh warned. Mari picked up the flyer and examined it, a worried expression growing on her face.

"Good things that are happening for you ! Have you ever thought that I want more from life than a nice apartment and a job serving tea?."

"There is nothing wrong with a life of peace and prosperity. I suggest you think about what it is that you want from your life and why."

"I want my destiny." Zuko responded

"What that means is up to you." Iroh said looking back down as Zuko walked off. "The Tea Weevil! No, that's stupid."

---

That night, Zuko lay wide awake. Hours had passed and he had refused to rest. Getting up, he crept towards Mari's room, opening the door slightly. He only went in to check if the girl was sleeping but he found himself getting lost at the sight of her once more.