twenty | the coup

Mari awoke that morning the scent of burning food. Rubbing her eyes, she rose from bed and walked out into the kitchen to see Zuko chopping up pieces of fruit while bread was burning under a fire.

"Zuko. What are you doing?" She asked, eyeing the blackened bread.

"Oh. Well I thought I would make you and Uncle breakfast."

Mari looked at him and laughed. "Let me help you." She said taking water to put out the fire. "You set the table. I'll fix all this." She smiled, poking curiously at a slice of terribly uneven cut papaya.

The two spent the rest of the morning making breakfast for Iroh. While Mari was pouring tea, she notice Zuko looking at her with a smile.

"What?" She asked

He just shook his head. "Nothing. Nothing." and continued setting the table.

"Zuko, you aren't supposed to slice fruit this way."

"It still tastes the same."

"No, come see." She said, demonstrating.

Zuko walked up from behind her, hovering over her frame, looking down at the fruit. Mari looked up and met his eyes with a soft "hey"

Zuko smiled and turned the girls body to face him. Leaning down with a grin he swooped up a laughing Mari, placing her on the counter where she sat more align with his standing height.

He stood in between her knees smiling, before reaching behind her and picking up a slide of fruit and bringing it to his mouth.

"Still tastes like fruit." He joked

The two laughed lightly, Zuko resting his arms against her legs. Lifting his chin lightly, he brushed his lips against her jaw.

Mari grinned draping her arms on his shoulders.

"What is that magnificent smell? Said Iroh's voice.

The two separated instantly before Iroh entered the kitchen.

"Come have breakfast with us, Uncle." Zuko said, sitting down.

The three enjoyed breakfast that morning and made their way to the Jasmine Dragon to open up.

---

After another long, but successful day. Zuko was about to close shop when a messenger walked in.

"A message from the royal palace." He said with a bow, handing it to Iroh. He opened the scroll and read over it.

"I can't believe it." He said examining it.

"What is it, Uncle?" Zuko asked.

"Great news! We've been invited to serve tea to the Earth King!" Iroh said excitedly before running to the kitchen.

Mari noticed Zuko's proud smile and smiled herself. "He's so happy."

"So am I." Zuko responded, now looking at her.

"That's a first." She said with a snicker as he rolled his eyes, chuckling.