Chapter - 3

"Ummm this is so tasty" Nikhil hummed feeling sweetness of mango ice-cream on his taste buds.

It's been two weeks, Swara and Nikhil communicated their consent for contract marriage to their agent. From the same day Nikhil was observing drastic change in Swara, she became more silent and aloof. Even on their daily night meetings, it was Nikhil who used to talk she used to respond in monosyllables with fake smile. Not only Nikhil but her parents were also noticing recent changes as well, but Swara always convinced them with lame excuses.

Today morning agent confirmed about next day's contract signing which took away floor from Swara's feet. Nikhil forced her to come with him for evening hangout.

"Hey why are you not eating? Eat it. It's super yummy." Nikhil nudged her, looking at her melting ice-cream.

"How can you be so relaxing?" Swara irritated.

"Swara, come on. Why are you becoming so hyper?" Nikhil rolled his eyes.

"I am becoming hyper? Do you even know what I am going through right now?" she shook her head in frustration.

"Enough, ofcourse I know. And I am also tense. But I am becoming practical. Just not making it as an issue." He threw the ice- cream cup in nearby dustbin.

"Exactly, because you are not getting married tomorrow with any stranger. Because you are not making the biggest decision of your life without getting any consent from your parents. Because you are not risking your entire life." She looked at him disbelief.

"Come on Swara it's not an actual marriage. Everything will be just on the paper" he convinced.

"You are not understanding Nikhil. Or I should say you will never understand. And that's what I regret the most" her eye's filled with silent tears. "I am going home." She started taking steps towards nearby bus stand.

Nikhil kept on looking at her back with dropped shoulders.

Next day came with in a blink, Swara got ready as usual to go for her office. She folded her hands in front of kanhaji's idol. 'Kanhaji, please be with me. I am known this is wrong but if with this I could help my family then I will do it.'

Swara left with Nikhil to agent's office. They both were waiting in the reception area when they were asked to go in one cabin.

"Come Swara let's go" Nikhil stood up.

Swara was still fidgeting with her fingers. Her throat became dry, she felt lifeless, her eyes filled with tears.

"Swara they are calling us" Nikhil asked again.

"I don't want to do this" she mumbled shaking her head.

"You cannot step back at last moment, think about our future" he stressed kneeling down in front of her to persuade.

Swara gulped water brought by Nikhil, she took deep breath closing her eyes to gain her equilibrium.

She stood and started following agent and Nikhil.

"You have to wait here" agent asked Nikhil when they reached near one cabin's door, "It's because we follow identification security. Only Ms. Swara can go inside."

"Ohh ok" Nikhil shrugged his shoulders.

Swara looked at him in bewilderment for a moment, 'how could he become so blind to send me alone?'

"I will be here only, come soon ok" Nikhil replied casually.

She shook her head and took a first step inside. Her eyes roamed around the room clutching her pursed in her fist.