Chapter - 4

Swara completed her immigration and took her check-in bags from luggage belt. She came out of Toronto's Pearson Airport. Her legs were shaking to move ahead. It was for the first time she had taken any step alone without holding her parents' finger.

'Hey Kanhaji, please ... please help me' Swara ranted in her mind. She came out, her body froze with sudden chillness of whether. It was month of March, winter season in Canada.

She looked for taxi and gave address for the hotel booked for her by her new company. Her eyes were roaming on her surroundings it was like nature had spread white blanket everywhere.

Driver stopped the car in front of small hotel, she gave him dollars which she had already got currency exchanged from Mumbai Airport.

'40$? Almost 2000 rupees for just 5 mins distance. Too expensive. No taxi today onwards.' She scrunched her nose.

She entered inside it was mediocre hotel and showed her reservation email to receptionist. She gave her look and started finding out about reservation.

Swara felt someone's intense gaze from back. She turned to look back but there was no one.

"Here are your keys. Room Number 508. Elevators are on your right side." Receptionist replied with professional smile.

Swara came to floor and started looking for room, she again thought someone was following her but when she turned there was no one.

She came inside room; it was small room with necessities. First thing she connected her phone with Wi-Fi and dialed her father's number from what's app call to inform them about her safe reach. She talked with them some time and then was moving towards washroom for much needed shower when her phone rang.

"Where are you Swara? Did you reach safely? How's over there?" she heard Nikhil's voice from other side.

"I was talking to Ma and Papa. Yes, I reached and..." Swara could not complete.

"Show me outside. There must be snow. I saw on weather network." He was excited.

Swara showed him everything.

"I wish I was there" Swara faked her smile at Nikhil's statement.

'I wish I was there' she turned to look other way to hide her glassy eyes.

It was next day, when Swara got ready to go for office. It was her joining date. Her heart was beating on max speed with thoughts of getting cheated.

She reached Toronto downtown and stood in front of high raised building. It was morning and she could see hustle bustle everywhere. She stepped inside to see huge reception area.

"Excuse me. I am new joiner here. This is my offer letter." Swara showed one paper to a blond girl who was behind receptionist desk.

"Sure, let me see" she smiled while taking paper and started entering details on her computer.

'Please Kanhaji, this job should not be fake one' Swara had done due diligence from her side but still one part of her heart was grappled with fear.

"Can I see you ID proofs?" girl asked.

"Sure" Swara gave her passport.

After basic questioning, "Welcome to Karma Ms. Swara. I have reported to our HR Manager. He would be here any moment for initial briefing. Please wait for few minutes." Her words brought bright grin on Swara's face. Her heart was filled with extreme satisfaction.

She went and sat on the nearest couch. She could feel someone's gaze on her, even while coming to office she felt she was followed by someone.

"Hello Ms. Swara, please this way." HR manager came and greeted her with warm smile breaking her thought process.