Chapter - 17

"Shona does anything happen between you and Nikhil?" Reva asked her daughter on Video call.

"No Ma... nothing happened. But why are you asking like this?" Swara countered.

"Nothing Shona. I just asked. By the way tell me hows everything over there?"

"It's good Ma. Now we have peak summer here. You know Ma till 9 pm its sunlight over here. It's different. Summers are beautiful. I promise Ma next summer you, Papa and Rohan will be here with me. And we all will do so much fun." Swara chirped beamingly.

"No Shona, next summer you and Nikhil would be newly married. You both will be spending quality time with each other. Why you want us to disturb you?" Reva teased from other side.

"Marriage?" Swara whisper asked.

"Haan Shona, yesterday Sumitra Ji was saying we need to start preparations for your marriage. It's been 6 months you are there. Nikhil said you and he has decided about marriage date. He said that in next 6 months you will get residency confirmed and then you will come to India to get married." Reva's word swipe away floor from Swara's feet.

"Nikhil said that we BOTH decided about marriage date?" Swara mumbled asked to herself.

"What happened Shona?" Reva questioned from other side. She could guess her daughter was reluctant over revelation.

"Shona, you and Nikhil have been engaged for almost a year. Everyone knows about it. In our social circle everyone asks about your two's marriage. Is there anything I need to know Shona?"

"Nothing Ma. I became little tensed hearing about marriage date. You know those wedding blues" she covered up.

But she took mental note to talk to her little brother about this. She was sure something would have happened back home.

She conveniently changed their topic of discussion before cutting their call.

'Rohan message me once you are alone. I want to talk to you. Everything is fine. Just don't tell Ma and Papa' she hit send button passing message.

At night when Swara was done with her daily chores, she went to their apartment's balcony to talk to her brother.

"Rohan, I know something had happen there? Now spill the beans out" she bombarded when Rohan picked call from other side.

"Di Sumitra Aunty had created a scene. It's not exactly but ... it worried Ma and Papa"

"Can you please be straight? I am not understanding"

"Di, you know we have this society Puja every year this time. So, all aunties of our society were gossiping about you. They were talking like because of you the marriage date has been postponed. Why her career is so much important? Girls first need to get married. They were also saying that now since you are staying in Canada, earning in dollars why will you marry Nikhil. You will find someone. You know all that." Rohan gave her overview.

"What was Ma and Papa's reaction?"

"They tried to sort out taking your side, but the main thing was Nikhil Jiju and his family" Rohan answered.

"What happened?"

"Jiju just left without a word, but Sumitra aunty took that opportunity and put Ma on everyone's bulls' eye. Ma was hurt with their words. After that day, she is taking pressure for your marriage. Same thing with Papa." Rohan's each word brought fresh tears in her eyes.

"Don't worry Rohan. I will talk to Ma and Papa"

"Di, can I ask you one thing?"

"Of course, Rohan"