Chapter Six

𝐀 𝐋𝐚𝐝𝐲 𝐂𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐠𝐮𝐚𝐧𝐠 [𝐈𝐈]

“𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒅𝒏𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝒉𝒊𝒅𝒅𝒆𝒏 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒐𝒖𝒍 𝒐𝒇 𝒂 𝒄𝒉𝒊𝒍𝒅.”

Keqing knew everyone was busy enough to take care of a child. Ningguang may be insanely busy, but Keqing was sure that Ningguang could pass on her works to her three secretaries, the legendary Yuehai Pavilion Secretary Ganyu, or even her, Yuheng of the Liyue Qixing.

“I’m afraid that is a rather horrifying answer. I think I made it clear that I don’t do kids,” Ningguang said firmly. Wrinkles formed on her forehead as a proof of her sudden frustration.

Y/N was never keen to meet new people since she felt like the outside world wasn’t a safe place. But this stranger right here didn’t scare her at all. Instead, Y/N felt at ease when the lady named Ningguang was around. Therefore, she made a decision inside her head. If Ningguang didn’t want to approach her, Y/N would approach her instead.

Y/N kicked her little feet downwards, wanting to be put down on the floor. Keqing struggled keeping the girl in her arms, so she put her down. She thought the child might want to explore the area she was in right now. Much to her bewilderment, the little girl crawled towards Ningguang and cuddled one of the woman’s feet tightly.

Keqing stayed silent, she didn’t expect the child to actually hug Ningguang. Every child in Liyue had always been frightened at the sight of the ruling woman. But this…  strange child? She had the courage to hug her without even knowing anything about Ningguang.

Ningguang was just as surprised as Keqing. No one, no one had ever hugged her since her mother’s passing. She felt a strange, warm feeling inside her chest but brushed it off quickly. She tried to shoo the child away, but the child ignored her and made grabby hands instead.

“May I ask what it is that she requires?” Ningguang asked Keqing in utter confusion, her forehead wrinkled for the second time.

“No idea, maybe she’s asking you to carry her,” Keqing answered, muttering a quiet “holy shit” afterwards.

“I’m afraid I don’t do lifts, young lady. You should go back to Keqing,” Ningguang craned her head towards Keqing, encouraging the baby girl to crawl back to Keqing.

Y/N was quite disappointed when Ningguang wouldn’t give in to her acting cute.

Does she not have a heart for children? Y/N’s mind spoke up.

“ *babble babble* (lift me up, lady!)” She demanded inaudibly, maintaining eye contact with Ningguang.

Ningguang clenched her eyes and plopped herself on the nearest chair and massaged her dizzy head lightly. “You are dismissed, Keqing. The child may independently decide whether to stay or not.”

Y/N took a while to process Ningguang’s words and glanced at Keqing. She was leaving her. Y/N reached her hands towards Keqing in panic, but then she remembered her original intention: to approach Ningguang. At least to get Ningguang to take care of her would be enough, since she assumed Keqing would be busy.

Y/N silently crawled towards the elegant-looking lady who was sitting on the chair. She peeped at her then quickly looked away. After contemplating her choices for a mere few seconds, Y/N raised her grabby hands at Ningguang, her big, grey eyes looking as hopeful as ever.

Ningguang may be strict and firm, but she wasn’t heartless. She saw into those shimmery pools of grey and melted at once, she just couldn’t resist it. It was strange, though.

Normally, kids would avoid her, and in return, she would pay no attention to them too. But when she saw deep into this child’s grey eyes, she got lost in it. She found herself “hypnotized” by them and hesitantly, she lifted the child up onto her lap.