Chapter Ten

𝐓𝐢𝐧𝐲 𝐋𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐍𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐞

“𝑵𝒐 𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒈𝒆𝒕𝒔 𝒖𝒔𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕𝒎𝒂𝒓𝒆𝒔.”

Two weeks have passed since Y/N was first found, and yet, she hadn’t had a legitimate name given by Ningguang.

It was Thursday night. Y/N woke up with a jolt, remnants of her terrible nightmare flashing through her mind. It was not the first time she had a nightmare in this brand new body. The nightmare, obviously, was about her father.

Y/N surveyed the area, finding nothing and no one inside her room. Her eyes started to get teary. She was really, really terrified right now, but Ningguang’s words floated across her mind: “Please don’t give me a hard time.”

Remembering the sentence, Y/N picked up her courage and walked out of the room in search of Ningguang. She would find the woman herself and snuggle up close to her. These past two weeks, she and Ningguang had gotten closer than she could’ve imagined. She was sure Ningguang wouldn’t mind snuggling with her.

Y/N’s bedroom’s door creaked open, giving a way for her to wander out while also searching for Ningguang. She admired the massive building for a little while before focusing herself to find Ningguang again. Good thing the lights outside were open.

Y/N found a stairway downstairs, located in the middle of the building. The lights there were open too, so her little feet ventured downstairs, in hope of finding Ningguang.

Y/N took a peek downstairs and saw one of the rooms lit up, while the others were dark. She assumed Ningguang would be there. Therefore, she forced her sleepy self to walk to the room’s door and knocked loudly against it.

Someone opened it, but to her utter disappointment, it wasn’t Ningguang. A lady in a dark red dress greeted her politely, “Oh, hello there, and what is the new little lady up to here?”

Y/N, being a two-year-old she was, babbled inaudibly to the lady in red. The lady looked incredibly confused and picked her up from the ground, “Well, I have no idea what you are saying, but I’m Baixiao, one of Lady Ningguang’s secretaries.”

At the mention of Ningguang’s name, Y/N clapped her hands and giggled cheerily. “Do you want me to take you to Lady Ningguang?” The woman named Baixiao asked.

Y/N nodded her head and clapped again, acquiesced with the idea of meeting Ningguang. Baixiao then silently strolled towards an open room, revealing Ningguang still working on a mountain of paperworks.

Ningguang didn’t take notice of their existence until Baixiao sounded out, “Lady Ningguang, I apologize for disturbing you but the little lady abruptly came into my room a while ago.”

Ningguang’s head shot up at the mention of the new child that was recently taken under her care. Her gaze softened at the child’s terrified look. She knew exactly what happened; it wasn’t the first time the nameless child had gone out of bed to find her.

“Let the child walk here, you are dismissed,” Ningguang said. It wasn’t like she didn’t care for the child, but she wanted her to be independent, so later on, she didn’t have to fully rely on her.

Baixiao put Y/N down carefully on the carpeted floor, letting the girl waddle towards Ningguang’s chair, and went back to her own room.

Ningguang opened up her arms and welcomed the girl with an affectionate hug. She wasn’t going to shower her with kisses, no. She didn’t feel like they were close enough yet for her to do that.

“Had a bad dream?” Ningguang quizzed the child on her lap as she wrote on a brown paper with her quill.

Y/N nodded her head once to confirm the woman’s question. It became a habit for Ningguang to ask the girl if she had a bad dream every night she came to her.

“Want to go to see the stars together?” Ningguang proposed, still occupied with her paperworks.

Y/N’s eyes glinted at Ningguang’s offer. This was the first time Ningguang asked her to see the stars together. Every time she had a nightmare, Ningguang would always be occupied with her papers while shushing her back to sleep. She got sleepy anyways.

“Alright, I’ll take that as a yes, little one. Off we go,” Ningguang carried the baby girl along with her and teleported to the rooftop of the Jade Chamber.

Y/N admired the bright stars decorating the dark blue sky while sitting comfortably on Ningguang’s lap. She used to love seeing the stars when she was a young Y/N L/N, but lost interest after her mother’s passing.

She didn’t know who she was now; she hadn’t heard Ningguang call her with a specific new name, and so, she continued identifying herself as ‘Y/N’. She never thought she’d regain the long-awaited bliss by just seeing the stars glimmer once more.

(i almoat forgot to post :D)