Chapter Nine

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐆𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐀𝐝𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐮𝐬

“𝑺𝒐𝒎𝒆 𝒅𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒋𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒓𝒅.”

“Thank you for bringing her here, you’re truly a big help,” Ningguang said, her voice filled with pure relief and gratitude.

A certain green-clothed Adeptus scoffed at The Tianquan’s words, “Hmph, no need.”

“If I may inquire, what can I possibly do to return the favor?” Ningguang asked with the calmest tone she could master, well aware of the baby girl on her lap, who looked like she was internally fussing over Keqing’s condition.

Y/N was indeed worried. Curves were forming on her small forehead as she eyed the green-haired man in disturbance. She didn’t like him, well at least for their first meeting. His aura wasn’t threatening, but it was unwelcoming and cold. Additionally, he looked scary to Y/N.

“Hmph, I don’t accept gifts from mortals, they’re repulsive. Moreover from the Liyue Qixing. I am not accepting anything,” Xiao replied coldly as he took a peek at the little girl on Ningguang’s lap. She was more than beautiful, her hair golden and her eyes grey. Realizing his thoughts, Xiao hastily brushed them away.

Flattering mortals? That would be the last thing I do.

“I must warn you there is a child here, Xiao. You shouldn’t act rudely, children pick up manners quickly,” Ningguang glared at the adeptus. She was deeply offended by how Xiao talked about the Liyue Qixing. She acknowledged his hate for mortals like her, but sometimes, his remarks went out of the line.

Xiao sneered at Ningguang’s words and said, “I’ll be going, don’t bother sending gifts.”

Once Xiao had gone out of the room, Ningguang released an exhausted sigh. It had been a long day for her and Keqing. She had to take care of an unknown baby, and Keqing was badly injured. The biggest problem was, with Keqing injured like this, not even today’s work would be done by the end of this week. The woman who was titled as the Yuheng had always played a huge role in the Liyue Qixing.

Ningguang looked at the baby girl on her lap. “Please don’t give me a hard time… Truth be told, I have no idea why I agreed to take you in. You’re adorable and pretty but still a responsibility.”

Y/N heard Ningguang’s faint complaints and felt pity for her. The woman must’ve gone through a lot that day. The two-year-old saw wrinkles slowly appearing on the woman’s forehead and squirmed on her lap. She grabbed onto Ningguang’s clothes on her shoulders and her little hands found their way to the woman’s forehead. Y/N stood up wobbly as she got herself occupied by smoothing the curves on Ningguang’s forehead. Ningguang warmed up and completely forgot that the child’s fingers were partially wet from the water from her mouth.

“Hm, why thank you for the attention, little one. The moon’s out now, let’s go to your room.”

Y/N set herself on Ningguang’s arms, she could seriously get used to the warmth radiated from the woman’s body. She found herself comfortable with Ningguang.

“Let’s get you ready for bed, shall we?” Ningguang offered to the little bundle as she took out a soft yellow pajama that was perfect for the baby’s size.

Y/N took interest in the pajamas and clapped her hands happily as usual. Ningguang gently dressed her up in the new pajamas and laid her on a very big bed. The woman willingly told her a short story about one of Liyue Harbor’s annual events, The Lantern Rite.

Y/N paid attention carefully to the story and stared in awe when Ningguang soundlessly made an illusion of Lantern Rite in the air. Y/N tried to grab for the lanterns, which looked much like stars, but failed miserably. Ningguang chuckled at the baby’s attempt to grab an illusion she made. She gently caressed the child’s soft, golden hair while shushing her into a deep slumber.

The corner of Ningguang’s lips unwittingly twitched up, forming a warm, motherly smile. She glanced at the sleeping baby once more before quietly paced out of the room. The long day has finally come to an end.