Chapter Twenty

𝐀 𝐒𝐢𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐅𝐢𝐯𝐞-𝐘𝐞𝐚𝐫-𝐎𝐥𝐝𝐬 𝐐𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

“𝐇𝐮𝐠𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐦.”

Y/N curled up in the cold, dusty attic. Her sixteen year old mind had been pondering a lot of things recently, like how time had managed to pass by in such a short amount of time.

Most of the time, she was assured that time was playing a game of catch with her, but she had always lost the game. Time had gone so much further ahead than her. Overtime, she learned that the game was simply impossible. In the end, she would never win the game.

It felt like yesterday, she was just rescued by Keqing. Right now she was just waiting for her birthday to come and turn her six.

It was unbelievable how much she had grown to be a fine young lady under the care of the mighty Tianquan, Ningguang. She grew to be an absolute genius, her intelligence exceeding other children her age.

It was a surprise even to Ningguang when she found out the girl had been able to read since she was three. She could do additions and subtractions at four, and multiplication at five. At age six, Y/N just had to master divination and fractions, and her basic maths would be the same to those attending primary schools in her past life.

Hmm, math here is so easy because I’ve learned it in my past life…

Y/N had been uneasy since she felt like she was manipulating Ningguang and the others who considered her as a genius. Believe it or not, she deliberately waited until she was five to do multiplications. Truthfully, she could just do everything at three, but then Ningguang would think she was an abnormal baby. Oh well, feeling special was never a bad feeling, right?

“Y/N!”

The soon-to-be six-year-old didn’t reply. She easily recognized the voice of her mother, Ningguang. She stayed silent until the calling stopped. She knew her mother would eventually find her, but she didn’t care. A space was what she needed for now.

Ten minutes passed since her name was last called. She could feel a pair of eyes staring at her softly.

“Hi, mummy,” She greeted, her voice a little bit muffled by her arms.
“What are you doing in the attic, sweety?” Ningguang asked in confusion.

Her daughter would only come to the Jade Chamber’s attic if she needed her personal space. Otherwise, she would sneak out the chamber and be found in the Yuehai Pavilion or Wangsheng Funeral Parlor. The girl loved spending time with Ganyu and Zhongli the most compared to anyone else.

Receiving no reply from her daughter, she asked again, “Did Ganyu reject you in her office?”

Y/N only shook her head. Ganyu would never, ever reject her in the office. She loved seeing the half-adepti, and the half-adepti also adored her.

“Then was Zhongli too busy to play with you?” Both were much of a rhetorical question, because the answer to both questions would always be no. Zhongli and Ganyu adored the little girl too much to ever ignore her.

“Then what’s bothering you? You can always tell me, right?” Ningguang sat next to her troubled daughter. She placed the girl on her lap, gently caressing the golden waves as she did.

“Are you my mummy?”

Bewildered by the sudden odd question, Ningguang turned her daughter around to face her. “Why are you asking that? Of course I am.”

“It’s just that I feel weird, mummy. I have very very bright yellow hair, and they shiny. But you have white hair and Mister Zhongli has dark brown hair. It no add up, mummy,” The girl said as she buried her face further in Ningguang’s neck, a look of dejection written all over her face.

Ningguang felt like she was being flicked at the forehead. It was the second time Y/N had asked her that question. The reason behind her constant question was simple: the other kids in Liyue Harbor, especially Yiran.

Every single time Y/N passed by Granny Shan’s toy shop, she would stare at Yiran in jealousy. Beside the black-haired girl was of course, her father, Manager Kuan. Despite the constant bickering over ‘callimg Manager Kuan Daddy’ she had always witnessed, she couldn’t help but feel jealous of the father-daughter relationship. In her past life, she had lost that relationship. And in this life, she had none.

And Ningguang still remembered one of her daughter’s sentences, “Manager Kuan has black hair, so Yiran too. But you have white hair and I very very bright yellow. I want to have white hair like you too, mummy.”

Y/N observed how her mum’s aura transformed from light orange to blue. The woman was sad.

Problem number one was nowhere near solved, and came problem number two: her daughter had been pushing Zhongli into every niggling matter. Dinner, play time, bedtime, and more. Sometimes, if she felt like it, the girl would even consider Zhongli as her father figure. It was like she was playing match-making or something.

“You’re talking like an adult, honey. Why did you consider Mister Zhongli?” Ningguang played with Y/N’s as she waited for her daughter’s reply.

“Because he’s my daddy! And I big, mummy, I an adult now,” She stated proudly.

“Since when did he become your father? And, no. You are still a small and adorable midget.”

“I not midget! And yes, Mister Zhongli is my daddy!” The girl insisted.

Y/N’s baby talk was an adorable thing for Ningguang. The girl would always try her best to console her every time Ningguang had a bad day. “Sad is bad, mummy! *gasp*, it rhymes!” That’s what she would always say when Ningguang was sad. Ningguang still giggled at it whenever her daughter said the phrase to her, she was an official mood-booster.

“Okay then. You can address him however you want,” Ningguang kissed Y/N’s forehead affectionately.

It was no use arguing with the five year old. The toddler would force her opinion, insisting that hers was correct, and the others’ were wrong. She was persistent, and incredibly hard-headed.

“Let’s go back inside, mummy. I sleepy,” Y/N mumbled softly.

“Alright. Wanna say bye-bye to Mister Moon and Mister Stars first?” Ningguang suggested.

Y/N lifted her head from her mother’s shoulder and motioned her hand slowly, waving at her ‘friends’. “Bye-bye, Mister Moon and Mister Stars! I sleep now!”

Ningguang gingerly stood up and stepped down the stairs while carrying her daughter. She had a lot in mind, and Y/N’s questions made the situation even more hectic.

(tbh i’m having fun with yall ranting at keqing and xiao, yalls comments r 😂😂)

ps: thank you for views, comments and votes! luv yall!