Chapter Twenty-Nine

𝐌𝐮𝐦𝐦𝐲'𝐬 𝐆𝐢𝐟𝐭 [3].

“𝑰 𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖, 𝑴𝒖𝒎𝒎𝒚! 𝑴𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒏 𝒚𝒐𝒖'𝒍𝒍 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘.” -Y/N.

“Good morning, mummy!”

Y/N skipped down from the stairs into Ningguang’s office. Everyday was an exciting day for her, even though her mum never really let her explore outside of the city. Hmph, who cares about the outside world? The city was already wide enough for her little feet to venture around anyways.

Ningguang offered the girl a welcoming smile, “Good morning, sweetheart. Did you have a nightmare?” She asked, her voice slightly worried.

Y/N shook her head, “Nope! I slept really, really well!”

Ningguang smiled wider and kissed the top of Y/N’s head, “That’s great.”

Ningguang handed over a bundle of different colored quills and a piece of paper to the girl. She figured Y/N might be bored while waiting for her paperworks to disappear.

“Thank you, mummy! I love, loveee you!” Y/N declared as she scuttled towards her own mini office located near Ningguang’s antique shelves.

“Oh I’m sure you do,” Ningguang replied, her gaze following each and every of Y/N’s movements.

Y/N’s eyebrows quickly furrowed, her eyes shooting invinsible bullets into Ningguang’s. “Where’s my ‘I love you too’, Mummy?”

Ningguang let out an airy laugh at the toddler’s expression, and the toddler looked clearly unimpressed. “Not funny,” Y/N commented with a scowl.

Ningguang halted her laughter and finally replied, “I love you too forever, honey. Don’t you worry.”

Satisfied, Y/N allowed her eyes to crinkle, and the corners of her lips to rise up, displaying a toothy grin for her mummy. She then went to sit on one of her mini chairs that was colored light pink.

In Y/N’s ‘working’ territory stood a mini table, two mini chairs —preferably for her and Qiqi to play, but her mummy never allows Qiqi to ascend to the Jade Chamber—, a mini board with a few pieces of paper, and a cylinder container where all of her quills were crammed into.

Y/N pulled out a black-inked quill and started stroking the tip of the quill onto the paper her mother had previously given her. She wrote ‘This for you, I *heart* mummy!’. Y/N’s little fingers placed the quill back into the glass container and she spreaded the paper wide for her eyes to see. The writing was a little messy, but it was tolerable for a five-year-old.

Satisfied with her small creation, Y/N jumped off her mini chair and sauntered towards Ningguang. “Mummy, look!”

“What is it, sweety?” Ningguang asked without taking her eyes off the paper rolled out on her desk.

Y/N scowled, “Mummy, look!”

Judging by the tone of Y/N’s voice, Ningguang already knew that the girl would probably cry again if she didn’t pay attention to her right now. And so, she turned around and observed the girl’s paper.

“You have a gift for me?” She gasped in delight, “Well if it’s from my dear Y/N then I will always love it, won’t I?”

“Here you go, mummy!”

Along with the paper, the girl passed on a small jewelry box and waited for her mother to open it. Ningguang enthusiastically opened the box and peered inside. Glaze Lilies.

Not receiving Ningguang’s reaction to the present, Y/N panicked and looked up at her mother. “Do you not like it?”

Ningguang snapped off her thoughts and countered the girl’s question, “No, of course I like it. In fact, I love it, sweetheart. Thank you.”

The woman spread her arms wide to the side and invited Y/N into a comforting, loving embrace. She placed soft kisses all over Y/N’s face, causing the girl to squeal and giggle in delight.

“If you love it, why you look sad, mummy?” Y/N asked carefully, worried that her mother might be uncomfortable to share her story.

The toddler fondled Ningguang’s cheeks with her small hands, her eyes staring at Ningguang’s in search of an answer. Y/N saw the color surrounding her mother turned dark blue, so she must be very sad right now.

Y/N waited, and waited. But Ningguang’s answer never came. Her lips were perfectly sealed in a straight line, reluctant to answer the question.

“It’s okay if you no answer, I still love you, mummy,” Y/N said with a warm smile painted on her face. She wouldn’t push her mother if she didn’t want to answer. Everyone has their own secrets, right?

Y/N then nuzzled her face into the crook of Ningguang’s neck and secured her short arms around Ningguang’s neck. She thought a hug would make it better.

“I like warm hugs, mummy. So I think you would too.”

Ningguang silently returned the hug and patted Y/N’s back gently. She adored warm hugs from her late father, but she loved her daughter’s hugs even more. And she still loves them until now.

•-•

PS: thank you for all the votes, comments, and views! I appreciate them a lot. Also, it’s so wholesome how even to this day, I still wake up to Wattpad notifs because of this story. Thank you to all of you slay hoomans <3!