Chapter Fifteen

𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐖𝐨𝐫𝐝

“𝑨 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒄𝒆 𝒅𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝒇𝒓𝒐𝒎 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒂𝒅𝒖𝒍𝒕 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒍𝒅, 𝒂 𝒔𝒆𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒂𝒕𝒆 𝒑𝒆𝒂𝒄𝒆.”

Keqing barged in the door of the Jade Chamber with a sword in her hand. She briskly sprinted down the spiral stairs and approached Ningguang’s office.

“Could you please be a little more lady-like, Keqing? My poor door won’t survive another year if you keep on barging in like that,” Ningguang gawked at the purple-haired woman in front of her. She was terribly irked at Keqing’s behaviour whenever she was called in the Jade Chamber. She could make a list of her junior’s missdemeanour.

“Sorry, force of habit,” Keqing apologized, not feeling guilty at all.

Y/N reached her hands at Keqing, who willingly took her out of Ningguang’s arms. The two-year-old energetically clapped her hands and pointed at the floor upstairs.

“You can’t wait to go?” Keqing giggled at the over-excited baby.

“How are you so excited to go? I’m forced to go,” Keqing then pouted, wrinkles appearing on her forehead.

As per usual, when Y/N saw those wrinkles, she instantly concealed her enthusiasm and attempted to smooth out the lines on the woman’s forehead. It was something she had been doing since she first saw Ningguang’s forehead wrinkled. She despised those wrinkles as much as she despised crabs.

*babble babble* (Don’t be sad, let’s go!)” Y/N babbled incessantly. She repeatedly told Keqing not to be sad, because being sad is apparently a terrible thing in her dictionary.

“I’m sure she was just messing around with you, Y/N.” Ningguang’s chuckles lit up the sullen atmosphere. “Off you go, Keqing. Take my Y/N with you, make sure she is safe at all times.”

Keqing raised an eyebrow, “Your Y/N?”

Ningguang forced out an awkward cough before saying, “Apologies, slip of tongue. Anyways, you may go now.”

“Aight, say bye-bye, Y/N!” Keqing encouraged her.

Y/N waved her tiny hands at Ningguang, stating her farewell in gibberish.

“Mama!”

Keqing stopped her track when she heard the word come out of Y/N's mouth. The child was still busy waving her hands at Ningguang, who looked just as stunned.

Ningguang’s quill dropped from the table, leaving strokes of black ink on the floor. “She said her first word.”

She made her way as quick as she could towards the child. “What an improvement, you just blurted out your very first word,” She repeated, looking impressed.

She took Y/N from Keqing’s arms as the girl clapped her hands in joy, “Mama!”

Keqing twirled herself around, her palm placed over her mouth. “She said her effin’ first word.”

Ningguang’s sharp gaze fell on the younger woman, “No harsh words around kids.”

“I’m sorry..” Her whisper trailed off as she took a big step over the other two. “She said her first word!”

“I’m intelligent enough to realize that, my dear Keqing,” Ningguang countered sarcastically.

Keqing frowned.

“Mama!” The shrill voice belonging to a certain baby distracted the adults from their previous conversation.

“This feels weird,” Ningguang smiled gracefully at Y/N.

“You’ll manage, I’m pretty sure about that.” Keqing brought Y/N’s fragile figure gently into her arms.

“Now, your first word was amazing, but Wangshu Inn’s waiting on the list, little one. We best be off now,” She said firmly.

Y/N pointed upstairs again, wanting to go to this place called Wangshu Inn as soon as possible.

“Wangshu Inn, here we come.”