Chapter Eight

𝐀𝐧𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐂𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐆𝐨 𝐖𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐠

“𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒍𝒅 𝒊𝒔 𝒂 𝒅𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒔 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒄𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒍𝒊𝒗𝒆 𝒊𝒏.”

Keqing was on her way to the place well-known for its eerie atmosphere. She sharpened her sword by constantly stroking it with rocks she picked up from the side road. She felt disappointed in herself because she had acted rashly when she found the baby girl for the first time. She didn’t even try to find clues. She only searched for people around and brought the baby back to Liyue Harbor with her.

She finally stepped her feet in the area of Wuwang Hill after walking for hours there. Restlessness grasped her like the last time she went here to rescue the baby. The Milleliths were in her company last time, but this time, she was all alone.

She took her time climbing up the hill and when she finally reached the top of Wuwang Hill, she traced down all her movements last time. She remembered the baby being placed near one of the dragon statues, but she couldn’t recall which one it was. She decided to check the statues one by one. On the fourth statue, she found the ground near it smeared with blood. She stood up and tried to look over the blood from a higher place, and was able to read just a short message, “The Fatui. Save her.” Who could’ve possibly surrendered to the fatui and left her child behind? Regardless, she made sure to remember the message as an intel for Ningguang.

On her way back home, Keqing kept thinking about the message. Wuwang Hill was recently attacked by the Fatui, leaving the area unpopulated. A lot of hilichurls and abyss monsters had conquered the place, and fighting them off one by one drained Keqing’s energy.

Lost in her thoughts, Keqing became unaware of the presence of a fatui agent trailing behind her. The fatui agent had found a perfect opportunity to strike her down from behind. Keqing paced slowly down the hill, completely dazed in her thoughts.

She suddenly felt a cut placed over her back, her eyes widening in shock. She suspected that the wound was quite large as she could feel her blood oozing out, drenching her purple clothes in crimson.

She swiftly drew her sword out and swung it around her body to protect herself. But it seemed that luck wasn’t on her side that day, because right then, she felt another huge cut formed on her back. Keqing’s vision (sight) spun in circles and her head felt unbelievably heavy. She was losing too much blood, and although she was blessed enough to be given a vision (power), as a mere mortal, she could still pass away from blood loss.

The woman desperately held her head, trying her best to at least stay conscious. Her effort, however, was done in vain as her limp body hit the ground, forming a pool of blood underneath. The Fatui Agent was nowhere in sight, leaving her all alone.

•-•

A masked stranger witnessed the brutal scene, but decided to stay quiet behind it. When a loud thud echoed through the air, the stranger immediately sped towards the sound, only to be greeted by Keqing’s bloody, unconscious body. The stranger tried to think of any possible solution, knowing that the woman may pass away in such a situation.

(i will not deny this chapter was weird, think i ran out of ideas lol)