Chapter Thirty-One

𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐃𝐢𝐝𝐧’𝐭 𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐠𝐞𝐭, 𝐃𝐢𝐝 𝐘𝐨𝐮?

“𝑰 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒔𝒂𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒊𝒕’𝒔 𝒖𝒏𝒆𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒄𝒂𝒍 𝒕𝒐 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒈𝒆𝒕 𝒂 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒚𝒅𝒂𝒕𝒆 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒂 𝒇𝒊𝒗𝒆-𝒚𝒆𝒂𝒓-𝒐𝒍𝒅!” -𝒀/𝑵.

“Wakey, wakey, Y/N.”

“Y/N honey, wake up...”

Y/N’s ears twitched a little at the familiar voice ringing in her ears. Her eyes flew open once she suddenly remembered her scheduled playdate with the blue weirdos —Xingqiu and Chongyun—.

Don’t ask why, it’s just her way of mentioning them. “To make things less complicated,” as she said.

“My playdate!” Y/N exclaimed, hopped down her bed, and dashed towards her wardrobe. She didn’t even take her time to notice her mother sitting on her bed, who was chuckling softly at her daughter’s behavior.

“Look who’s in a rush, huh, little missy,” Ningguang teased, poking her daughter’s cheeks as the child struggled to climb on the high chair.

“Mummy! You here, I no see you!” Y/N greeted her mother, silently triumphing her successful attempt to sit on the high chair by herself.

Ningguang peppered Y/N’s face with sweet kisses, ending it with a longer one on the nose. Y/N giggled and hugged her mother tightly, she loves, loves, loves her mother more than anything in the whole wide world! Even though she could be scary when she misbehaved.

Wait, she might love food more than her Mummy, she thought.

Ningguang grabbed a wooden comb placed near the mirror on Y/N’s mini makeup table that Ningguang bought just a few days prior. Y/N had been asking for her personal makeup table since the day she saw Ningguang applying light makeup in her room. She thought it was fascinating.

While combing through her daughter’s tangled hair, Ningguang voiced out, “So now you have a playdate without mummy knowing, huh?”

Y/N smiled sheepishly at her mother’s question, and replied in a whisper, “Sorry...”

Ningguang sighed monumentally and looked at her daughter’s sullen face reflected in the mirror. “It’s okay, just make sure to tell me first, alright? Mummy’s going to be dead worried for you if you don’t tell her now, would she?”

The child’s face lit up as she shouted a loud “Yes!”, swinging both of her arms in excitement.

•-•

“Blue hair!” Y/N toddled up the stairs leading to Wanwen Bookhouse. She knew that her first blue hair companion would be here with a book stuck on his lady-like face.

“Morning, my liege. Have you been well?”

“Stop calling me ‘my liege’, blue hair. My name is Y/N, not ‘my liege’! Which parent would name their kid ‘my liege’ anyway?” Y/N grumbled, her arms crossed in front of her chest.

“Apologies, my lie-, I mean, Y/N,” The dark blue-haired teenager closed his book and clutched it tightly. He’s married to his books… Y/N thought.

“Meh, just remember to call me Y/N, not ‘my liege’, whatever the name is,” Y/N continued, her hands now busy dusting her white dress that was embroidered with blue flowers that resembled the girl’s favorite plant, the Glaze Lilies.

“What could be so important that you decided to search for me yourself, Y/N?” Xingqiu asked.

Y/N curved her eyebrows, “You didn’t forget, did you?”

“Oh, uh.. of course I didn’t. But… I don’t exactly remember..” Xingqiu hesitantly replied.

“Stupidity is real…” Y/N whispered to herself. “Our playdate! You, me, and that weird popsicle boy! How could you forget?” The girl exclaimed as her finger slowly crumpled the hem of her dress.

“Ah, yes. That… I forgot.. No, I mean, I didn’t exactly remember. I must’ve missed that on my schedule. I sincerely apolo-”

“The audacity to forget.. Urgh, no need to apologize! Let’s just go and hope that popsicle boy doesn’t forget!” Y/N glared menacingly at Xingqiu who could only reply with an awkward smile.

The girl went down the spiraling stairs, her steps creating loud creaks each time her feet made contact with the wooden stairs.

“Sometimes, I wonder… Is she really a five-year-old? She acts like an adult..” The Wanwen Bookhouse owner, Jifang, voiced out as she stacked a series of books into a neat pile.

“Who knows… but the future seems so bright for her,” Xingqiu answered.

“Well, I’m afraid I must go now, Jifang,” Xingqiu smiled. “See you next time.”

“Of course, you are welcome anytime in my bookshop,” Jifang gave a warm smile and waved her hands at Xingqiu who was already stepping down the stairs to catch up to Y/N.

Jifang sighed and eyed the two particular figures walking down the streets. The two stood out in the crowd, considering they always wear different outfits from the rest of the locals.

“Hh… the future seems so bright, huh.. That’s a great sign then. Stay safe, Y/N.”

•-•

PS: thank you for the views, votes and comments! Have a great week! *sending hugs* ʕ⁠っ⁠•⁠ᴥ⁠•⁠ʔ⁠っ