Chapter Twenty-Eight

𝐌𝐮𝐦𝐦𝐲’𝐬 𝐆𝐢𝐟𝐭 [𝐈𝐈]

“𝑺𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒂𝒊𝒅 𝑰 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒕𝒉 𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒏 𝒈𝒐𝒍𝒅 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒂𝒏𝒚𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒔𝒉𝒆 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒐𝒘𝒏𝒆𝒅.”

Her gift? Hers? Y/N had never presented her with a gift. The thought of Y/N giving her a gift never crossed the woman’s mind either.

Pure guilt rushed in her system as she finally figured out that the girl might just wanted to give the present for her. Regret ate her slowly as she realized she totally blew off at Y/N a few hours prior for ‘disturbing’ her. She couldn’t even consider the girl’s greeting a disturbance, she was just saying hello after all.

Perhaps the sugarcoating of her affectionate nicknames didn’t actually work on Y/N. Ningguang blamed herself for Y/N’s wrathful outburst.

She felt her eyes starting to grow watery, tears threatening to fall down her fair skin. She sealed her lips in a straight line, hoping her indistinct whimpers were enough to escape the ears of others.

The last time she had cried was when her father was forced to leave her behind due to his job being a sailor. It was a cry of desperation and loneliness. This time, however, she let out a cry filled with nothing but guilt and love.

Ningguang was sure her sobs were quiet enough to be heard, but she was proven incorrect as little Y/N woke up with a jolt, eyes searching for the source of the sobs echoing in her sleep. She halted once she saw Ningguang and her short arms bolted on Ningguang’s cheeks, wiping the flowing tears away, while her gray eyes laid on her mother’s bright red eyes.

Concern was clearly painted over her face and she softly whispered in Ningguang’s ears, “You okay, mummy? Did I make you angry?” She gasped, “Did someone make you angry? I will scold them for you, mummy!” Her tone was full of accusation.

Ningguang softened at Y/N’s worried gesture, “I’m okay, sweetheart. No one made me angry.” Her long, delicate fingers tucked Y/N’s unruly golden locks behind her ears.

The little girl gasped again, “You scared I hit them, mummy? Don’t worry, I will scold them like you scold me, so they no hurt. Tell me who made you scared, mummy!” She insisted.

Ningguang chuckled at Y/N’s forceful argument and planted tender kisses on her cheeks, forehead, and her nose. “No one did, don’t you worry, you little menace.”

“Huh? Okay then. You no lie, right?” Y/N asked, still doubting Ningguang’s response.

“Never, never in a million years,” She convinced Y/N again and pressed her forehead on her daughter’s, brushing their noses against each other’s as the girl let out infectious, child-like giggles.

“Mummy, I sorry,” Y/N blurted out all of a sudden.

“For whatever reason do you apologize for, sweetheart?”

Y/N’s fidgeted in nervousness and her head hung low as she responded, “I… I… I said I hate you, mummy. I sorry. I no hate you! Really, mummy!”

“I was just angry because you no play with me..” Y/N defended herself, a huge pout displayed on her pink lips.

Ningguang’s face softened once more, her lips brushing lightly on the tip of Y/N’s nose. “Don’t apologize, it’s not your fault, honey.”

Y/N said nothing else but a faint ‘okay’ at her mother’s words. She still felt sorry, though. Her frown soon turned into a smile, and her uneasiness faded away into thin air. She was relieved that they weren’t on bad terms anymore.

Ningguang’s hand absentmindedly ran through Y/N’s golden strands, smoothing them out as she hummed a relaxing tune, almost like a lullaby.

The girl snuggled further into Ningguang’s body and was glad when she was welcomed by the same motherly warmth she longed for. She made herself cozy in Ningguang’s embrace and her eyes finally felt heavy once more.

Once she felt Y/N’s arms draped strengthless on her arms, Ningguang carefully placed the adorable bundle of sunshine on the bed. Her eyes gazed at Y/N’s sleeping form and were soon lost again in the child’s angelic beauty.

How did I get so lucky?

The Tianquan was not wrong, having Y/N as her only child was a true, lifetime blessing.

—————

[bare with me cos idk where this is going 😂]

PS: thank you for all the views, votes and comments!! have a great weekend! <3