▪︎I'M NOT SLEEPING, I'M DEAD

━━━━ DUSTY AND DARK

━━━━ DUSTY AND DARK.

The two of you were in a room which you believe was an attic. It was dark and cold in the room. The cold air of the room had blown some dust into your nose to which caused you to sneeze a few times or so.

The room felt gloomy and untouched. Judging from the dust and the design of the room, you believe it's been left for years now. Nothing of the room seemed futuristic or new.

"Sorry for the lack of care around the room. No one really goes there anymore. Here are some tissues if you ever need them." Niki said as she offered you a stack of tissues to your hand which you gladly took.

"Thanks for the tissues. I forgot to mention I was allergic to dust. Sorry for having to put up with me." You apologized for your own inconvenience. "So, what were you going to show me?"

"Oh, just an item or two." She said while looking around the room, pulling out boxes but then pushing them aside, not being able to find exactly what she was looking for.

"This might take a while for me to find." She said before her eye lit up in the joy of founding the item she searched for. "Here it is."

You walked closer towards her as you examined the item in her hands. It was a rectangular white object illuminated with blue lights on it. You weren't sure what it was before she pressed onto the circular white button located at the center and a blue hologram merged up, showing a blurred picture of a hand in motion. It seemed as if it was trying to cover whatever was taking a photo of them.

"This is my memory box." She said while smiling dearly at it. "It stores the videos I took of my former colleagues which I worked with when I was still 17."

You stood still, hands itching to play the video as your mind desired for answers to what was the video she took about and as Niki could feel the burning curiosity from within you, she turned to you and smiled. "Go on. Press the play button." She said, extending her arms for you to press the circular white button.

You glanced at her once for reassurance which only made her give you a sweet grin and you pressed the button, allowing the holographic video before you to play in motion.

"NIKI, STOPPP! IT'S EMBARRASSING!" The whining of a familiar blonde boy you had missed evermore was heard from the audio of the video as it revealed him with his hair tied into two small pigtails.

"Jeez, Tommy looks so young..." You said with eyes widened at the sight of him.

He seemed to be nine years old to be exact and his face was flushed with embarrassment as he tried his best to cover the camera which was recording him.

The laugh which you knew belonged to Niki was heard within the recording, you could tell she was smiling so much at him. "But you look so cute, Tommy!"

"Hmph." Tommy, looking annoyed and embarrassed. "I'm not cute. You know this is a very cruel thing for you to do, woman. Wilbur won't let me be his assistant if he sees me like this." He said, eyes refusing to make contact with the camera.

You could feel their chemistry being almost like a family relationship. You couldn't help but grin at their interaction. You believed Niki must have worked in RE:LIFE back then and had such a close relationship with everyone but that had only led your mind to question, What made her leave?

And just as you questioned her, there was a loud thud from a door within the audio. "N-Niki!" You heard Fundy's voice within the recording, panicked and wary but you weren't sure to what. The camera averted to the oranged-haired man in distress as he looked at the person holding it. "I-It's Wilbur. He fucked up."

"What?" Confusion was clearly heard within her voice, the camera angle lowering slightly at him. You could tell Niki's smile had immediately turned into a frown and eyes full of concern as she looked at Fundy.

"H-he..." Fundy's words were left unfinished as the recording stopped and the hologram disappeared.

Unsure of what had happened next, you looked at Niki for answers only to see her expression had turned gloomy. Wanting to give her a slight pat in the back as comfort, she looked at you with a sad smile on her face. "There were a lot of things to uncover but I believe you are familiar with Tommy based on how you've reacted." She said.

Hesitant in what to say, your mouth was set into a grim line, quiet at her words.

"How did you meet him?" Niki asked.

"I, uh..." You muttered under your breath, thinking of a response to give her.

"Please..." She said, holding your hand into hers. "Just be honest with me."

You had a doubtful look on your face. You've been lying for so long, trust broken crushed into multiple bits of pieces but you sighed heavily at her pleading. She seemed to have been in similar situations as you. She was never living within the truth and had been suffering from such tormenting pain by the acts of her decisions.

"I have forcefully held captive in RE:LIFE for 3 years. It's insane. I barely know what's happening now." You confessed.

She didn't give you a judgemental look and she seemed to remain friendly at your answer. To your surprise, she didn't seem to even be against you. She gave you a smile and a hug. Your heart jumped at her embrace and your heartbeat raced. It was comforting and it felt safe.

"It must be tough for you to have been so treated badly there... I'm glad you were able to escape." She said before breaking the hug. "I hope you don't come back there."

"I think you can tell, I had quite a close relationship with Tommy. He was actually like a little brother to me but things broke off when he picked the creator or RE:LIFE's side. I was only trying to offer him safety and protection." She explained.

"Tommy started changing. He becomes dishonest and pessimistic. He was manipulated by the creator of RE:LIFE so he would do his own bidding." She continued.

Wilbur...? Manipulating Tommy...?

"The creation of humanoids has already created much damage towards humanity. We plan to destroy it and everyone who works there." She said.

"Everything and everyone? Including Tommy and Tubbo?" You blurted out, unexpectedly and Niki had a shocked look upon her face.

"Tubbo... I haven't heard that name for so long." Her words seemed to come out monotone and you couldn't read her expression.

"You never mentioned him... but uh, I thought you'd know him," You claimed. "He's-"

"I know who he is." She said as venom was heard within her voice.

You were taken back by her change in tone. I guess there was a deeper mystery to all of this than just why Fundy and Niki had decided to become former workers of RE:LIFE.

"It's a complex decision that hasn't been made thoroughly so we'll see how it goes. I think Fundy needs my help repairing some vehicles soon so let's head out of this old room." She said, a smile forming on her face again as if her previous change in tone had never happened.

"You're free to explore the house as you wish. I'll talk to you again by dinner." She said as the two of you went out of the room and parted ways.

If you get to choose which information you are able to receive, what would it be?

Created on 3 December 2021
Edited on 3 December 2021
Edited by hanamocha