3. Petco Pit Stop

It's been too fucking long... but I'm back with a bang baby! Stay tuned till the end for a larger update/lil apology gift.
Enjoy!

Derek

"When I said chefs choice, I didn't expect we'd end up here

"When I said chefs choice, I didn't expect we'd end up here." I spoke, glancing up at the stores front.

"Well you said chefs choice," John replied with a grin that terrified me- mainly by how well it managed to put my reigning bouts of anxiety at ease. "We can't head back to The Gardens... so we're here."

"At Petco?" I blurted out more unexpectedly than I had meant to.

"My cats terribly low on food," He replied with a grin. I gave the pet shop another long stare, before glancing back at John as he spoke. "You seem pretty surprised... a state I never thought I'd see you in. Usually you're the one doing the surprising."

"I just-" I stopped myself short, trying to figure out how to reply to that in a way that didn't sound as ridiculously stupid as I always do. "I don't mean to offend, it's just... Alex made it seem like you travel a lot so I didn't really expect you to have a pet, or I guess time for one."

Yep, still sounded like I was inserting myself into shit that most definitely didn't concern me.

John's smile faltered a bit, which made me feel even more uneasy. You should've just kept your trap shut Derek, I thought to myself.

"That's a pretty accurate observation," He nodded. "If anyone asks, Herold The Third is a cat that's been with my family for years. A heirloom if you will. In actuality though, I bought him on a whim when I was out drunk with my ex one night."

That made my ears perk right on up. I wasn't sure what I found more intriguing, the fact that he was drunk enough to buy a cat, or the fact that he kept it.

"Woke up the next morning very ah- well, surprised... but there's a quote I prefer to live by, and that is: you become forever responsible for what you have tamed. So I guess I own a cat now."

Just those few words got the gears in my head turning. I had heard that quote from somewhere before, but the way John applied it practically coerced a small smile out of me. There was something so oddly genuine about that. About him.

"I make an effort to never leave for more than a few days, and if I must, I guess I'm lucky that Herold likes to travel."

"You take him with you?" I asked curiously.

"Everywhere I can, at least." He replied, pushing the car's gear finally into park. I felt this awfully expensive car jerk forward slightly before it stopped. "I have a spot here when I'm not in New York, so I usually bring him when I visit. Now that I'm in business relations with Ivanov Corp, the spot I have has become a little more... permanent I guess you could say. I still head to New York for my own endeavors, but I frequent here more. Herold seems to like it here."